Author Topic: Media Wrong Again about Quebec wildfires  (Read 127 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Media Wrong Again about Quebec wildfires
« on: June 08, 2023, 09:49:35 am »
Media Wrong Again about Quebec wildfires
1 day ago Guest Blogger 
By Robert Girouard

Canada has been plagued by numerous forest fires in recent weeks. Almost all provinces, including Quebec, have been affected. True to form, mainstream media has been quick to associate these terrifying and spectacular natural events with (anthropogenic) climate change. Let’s look at the facts.

According to Canada’s Department of Natural Resources, natural disturbances such as forest fires, insect infestations, droughts, and floods have been part of the natural forest cycle for thousands of years and most often contribute to their regeneration. They release valuable nutrients contained in the litter and create openings that allow light to reach the forest floor, stimulating the growth of new trees. Fire is also essential for the reproduction of certain species, such as the jack pine, whose cones covered in wax only open under very high temperatures.

The boreal forest is particularly vulnerable to fires because it is mainly composed of resinous trees, which have a high flammability index compared to deciduous trees. Spring is also a season particularly conducive to forest fires because once the snow melts, the fuel accumulated on the ground quickly dries out. It should be noted that this is also the time when human activities responsible for 50% to 75% of vegetation fires resume.

Forest fires are part of the natural history of Quebec’s territory, just like snow, ice, and long winters. Since the Laurentide Ice Sheet melted ten thousand years ago, Quebec has likely burned hundreds of times.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/06/07/media-wrong-again-about-quebec-wildfires/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Media Wrong Again about Quebec wildfires
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 09:54:01 am »
Well managed clear cuts will achieve the same goals as burning off large sections of forest, while providing materials to build "affordable" housing, and providing jobs to help afford it.

The imposed diversity of habitat means biodiversity benefits as well.

Access roads constructed to harvest the trees enhance firefighting capabilities, and the cuts, if set up right, provide firebreaks.

Once again, older methods prove their wisdom over mote modern 'green' theory.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis