Author Topic: Researchers find why San Andreas fault hasn’t caused a big earthquake in L.A. — yet  (Read 440 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Researchers find why San Andreas fault hasn’t caused a big earthquake in L.A. — yet
Story by Kasha Patel • Yesterday 11:01 AM

San Andreas Fault

The southern San Andreas fault in California is in a seismic drought, going more than 300 years without a major earthquake. New research shows the lack of seismic activity may be due to the drying of the nearby Salton Sea and provides clues on future potential earthquake triggers, including projects aimed to refill the body of water.

One of the largest faults in the world, the 800-mile-long San Andreas marks the meeting of the North American and Pacific plates in western California. The fault has three sections, but the southern section from the Salton Sea to Parkfield, Calif., has been historically the quietest — and that’s not a positive. The pent-up energy, when released, could be catastrophic to nearby populated cities.

“This fault poses the largest seismic hazard in all of California,” said Ryley Hill, lead author and PhD candidate at San Diego State University. “The southern San Andreas fault is a locked section, and when this fault ruptures … it would cause significant damage to the Los Angeles metropolitan area.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/researchers-find-why-san-andreas-fault-hasn-t-caused-a-big-earthquake-in-l-a-yet/ar-AA1cfsHq?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=23a55a58776e4222889c9b03aa8ec7d0&ei=18
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I didn't know it was by earthquake month again already! As a Californian all I can say is

Offline mountaineer

The Northridge quake of 1994 (magnitude 6.7) and the San Francisco earthquake of 1989 (6.9) weren't "major"? (Not to mention other California quakes over 7.0 in 1992, 1999, 2010 and 2019).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The Northridge quake of 1994 (magnitude 6.7) and the San Francisco earthquake of 1989 (6.9) weren't "major"? (Not to mention other California quakes over 7.0 in 1992, 1999, 2010 and 2019).
Meh, not to Californians...unless of course it was you or family that got pancaked by collapsing frwys or buildings. I t's all what you get used to growing up I suppose. I was expecting to see something more about the we're all gonna die Yellowstone apocalypse not earthquake news.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I just know the one earthquake I remember (4.5) that centered just miles from me was pretty scary for us... Cracked my chimney and everyone in town went outside in the middle of the night in surprise. I can't imagine what stronger quakes would be like.

The good news is everyone in Southern California has access to a makeshift tent if their houses/apartments suffer major damage if they run the druggies off the streets and into the woods.
/end semi-sarcasm
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 05:10:48 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....