Author Topic: COP28 president says fossil fuels phasedown is inevitable  (Read 187 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
COP28 president says fossil fuels phasedown is inevitable
« on: June 09, 2023, 05:06:21 pm »
COP28 president says fossil fuels phasedown is inevitable
Story by By Riham Alkousaa • Yesterday 5:11 PM

By Riham Alkousaa

BERLIN (Reuters) - The phasedown of fossil fuels is inevitable, the United Arab Emirates' incoming COP28 president said on Thursday, in stronger remarks than previous comments where he called for the scaling down of fossil fuel emissions rather than the fuels themselves.

Sultan Ahmed al-Jaber, who also runs the UAE's state oil giant, has been criticized by climate activists for what they saw as a soft stance on fossil fuel, calling for the tackling of their emissions rather than cutting their use.

That could allow countries to keep using fossil fuels, while using technologies to capture the CO2 emissions that result from burning them.

"The phasedown of fossil fuels is inevitable. The speed at which this happens depends on how quickly we can phase up zero carbon alternatives, while ensuring energy security, accessibility and affordability," he said at an event on the sidelines of the UN climate talks in Bonn.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/cop28-president-says-fossil-fuels-phasedown-is-inevitable/ar-AA1cjbUn?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=37411b4899fc4c6c895500413111a4fe&ei=70
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: COP28 president says fossil fuels phasedown is inevitable
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 05:07:29 pm »
What he really meant to say was the phasedown was inevitable everywhere but the Middle East. :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson