Author Topic: Oceanfront Property Tied to Obama Granted Exemption From Hawaii’s Environmental Laws  (Read 253 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Oceanfront Property Tied to Obama Granted Exemption From Hawaii’s Environmental Laws

Honolulu officials have granted an exception to the state’s beach protections, clearing the way for a controversial multimillion-dollar renovation of a century-old seawall at a property owned by the chair of the Obama Foundation.

by Sophie Cocke, Honolulu Star-Advertiser Nov. 18, 2020, 5 a.m. EST

The oceanfront estate in Waimanalo, Hawaii, tied to Barack Obama on Aug. 1. (Darryl Oumi, special to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser)

SERIES:PARADISE LOST
Hawaii’s Disappearing Beaches

ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published.

This story was co-published with the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, a member of the ProPublica Local Reporting Network.

Officials in Honolulu have granted the developers of a luxury, oceanfront estate tied to Barack Obama a major exemption from environmental laws designed to protect Hawaii’s beaches.

The shoreline permit, issued by Honolulu’s Department of Planning and Permitting on Monday, clears the way for the controversial multimillion-dollar renovation of a century-old seawall in the heavily Native Hawaiian community of Waimanalo.

Under state and county laws, such projects are typically banned. Scientists and environmental experts say seawalls are the primary cause of beach loss throughout the state, and officials expect older ones to fall into obsolescence.

https://www.propublica.org/article/oceanfront-property-tied-to-obama-granted-exemption-from-hawaiis-environmental-laws
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
He has massive oceanfront property on the mainland and now Hawaii.  He was the one who claimed oceans rising were going to swallow up shorelines.  So what gives here, other than he's a typical liberal liar. :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Rules for thee.
NOT "for me"...!

Online mountaineer

This story is from 2020, and yet no one seems to have made note of this hypocrisy in nearly 3 years.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org