Author Topic: No one even knows if EV’s will reduce carbon dioxide  (Read 423 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
No one even knows if EV’s will reduce carbon dioxide
« on: June 07, 2023, 11:35:58 am »
No one even knows if EV’s will reduce carbon dioxide

By Jo Nova

States all over the world have declared we have to change our cars to EVs and do it tomorrow so we can save the world. But as Mark Mills points out, despite the rush “No one can really say whether widespread adoption of EVs will cut carbon emissions.”  I mean, does carbon dioxide matter at all?

The problem with EVs is that it takes a staggering amount of energy to dig up the 250 tons of specialty rocks required, and then crush, purify and mold them into one half-ton battery. While normal cars are naughty burners of fossil fuels for their whole lives, an EV emits a mountain of CO2 before it even gets to the saleyard.

Mark P. Mills

Electric Vehicle Illusions
EV emissions realities start with physics. To match the energy stored in one pound of oil requires 15 pounds of lithium battery, which in turn entails digging up about 7,000 pounds of rock and dirt to get the minerals needed—lithium, graphite, copper, nickel, aluminum, zinc, neodymium, manganese, and so on. Thus, fabricating a typical, single half-ton EV battery requires mining and processing about 250 tons of materials. (These figures hold roughly true for all lithium chemistries.) For the carbon-counters tracking such things, the global mining and minerals sector uses 40 percent of all industrial energy—dominated by oil, coal, and natural gas—and that’s before we take into consideration the massive expansion that would be required to supply all the battery factories planned for widespread EV adoption.

Lithium Mining makes a big hole in the ground, and we’d need about 10,000 times as many big holes to get to Net Zero. Not that I have anything against big beautiful open pits but the Greens may not have thought this through…

https://joannenova.com.au/2023/06/no-one-even-knows-if-evs-will-reduce-carbon-dioxide/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=no-one-even-knows-if-evs-will-reduce-carbon-dioxide
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: No one even knows if EV’s will reduce carbon dioxide
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 10:37:13 pm »
I'm thinking CO2 "emissions" involved in an EV -- both during the construction phase (mining/processing materials used in it) and during its operational life (power consumed from fossil-fuel plants) might actually EXCEED those emitted by an internal combustion car over its life.

And the ICE car might have a significantly LONGER life than the EV, unless the battery is replaced -- again, the environmental cost of the battery must be figured into the total equation...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 04:08:19 am »
I have a small fleet of ICE vehicles, all of which are over two decades old. If I am driving one, it is in good operating order, or I'm on my way to ensure it is. While my daily drivers are in the 'under 40' bracket, I have vehicles as old as 80+.

I just don't see EVs making that level of longevity.

Every one of those vehicles has saved the emissions of building another vehicle to replace it, some multiple times over.

Weigh that on your CO2 scale, people.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 04:30:25 am »
No one even knows if reducing carbon dioxide emissions will cause the sun to give off less heat.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-