Author Topic: The Sun in June 2023  (Read 115 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Sun in June 2023
« on: June 07, 2023, 10:57:51 am »
The Sun in June 2023
9 hours ago 
David Archibald

It is now seven years since the global lower atmosphere temperature, as measured by UAH, peaked in 2016.  As it is energy from the Sun that stops the Earth from looking like Pluto, what has solar activity done? There are lags involved so the relationship is not clear cut. And then there is the interaction with a long-cycle terrestrial system that complicates it a bit further. But when that turns the rate of cooling will accelerate.

Figure 1: F10.7 Flux 1948 – 2023

This is the index of solar activity that the solar professionals use, not sunspot number. The solar cycle is driven by the orbital period of Jupiter of 11.86 years, modulated by Saturn and Uranus.

Figure 2: Sunspot Area 1874 – 2023

F10.7 flux correlates closely with sunspot area. This graph of sunspot area by solar hemisphere shows the abrupt jump in solar activity at the start of the Modern Warm Period. What is significant is that the hemispheres have different levels of activity and that trends in activity can last three solar cycles, approximating the orbital period of Saturn.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/06/06/the-sun-in-june-2023/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson