Author Topic: Why forests need fires, insects and diseases  (Read 120 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why forests need fires, insects and diseases
« on: June 07, 2023, 10:55:13 am »
Why forests need fires, insects and diseases

A pine tree grows after a forest fire. Although natural disturbances do create a temporary loss in the forest cover, in the long term they help forests stay healthy and encourage diversity in the tree, plant and animal species that inhabit them.

How do natural disturbances affect Canada’s forests?
Natural disturbances such as forest fires, insect and disease outbreaks, drought, wind throw and floods have occurred in Canada’s forests for thousands of years. Disturbance is part of the natural life cycle of the forest and most often helps the forest to renew itself.

Disturbances are particularly important to the cycle of regeneration and regrowth in boreal forests. Fires, as well as insect and disease outbreaks, often occur on a large scale there, more so than in Canada’s temperate forests. Here are some of the ways that these natural disturbances work to renew boreal forests.

Forest fires often stimulate new growth
Fire, the primary change agent in the boreal zone, is as crucial to forest renewal as the sun and rain. Forest fires release valuable nutrients stored in the litter on the forest floor. They open the forest canopy to sunlight, which stimulates new growth. They allow some tree species, like lodgepole and jack pine, to reproduce, opening their cones and freeing their seeds. Learn more about the effects of wildfire in the forest.

https://natural-resources.canada.ca/our-natural-resources/forests/wildland-fires-insects-disturbances/why-forests-need-fires-insects-and-diseases/13081
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson