Author Topic: New York City’s air pollution among the world’s worst as Canada wildfire smoke shrouds Northeast  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
CNN  —  none
New York City topped the list of the world’s worst air pollution Tuesday morning as harmful smoke wafted south from more than a hundred wildfires burning in Quebec.

Smoke from Canada’s fires has periodically engulfed the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic for more than a week, raising concerns over the harms of persistent poor air quality. New York City’s air quality index peaked above 150 on Tuesday, according to IQair – a level of pollution that is “unhealthy” for sensitive groups like the elderly, young children and those with respiratory issues.

New York City was still among the top five cities with the worst air pollution in the world Tuesday afternoon, IQair reported, alongside Dhaka, Bangladesh; Jakarta, Indonesia; and New Delhi, India.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/06/us/new-york-air-pollution-canada-wildfires-climate/index.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
You can’t even see the skyline in the photo.

@Kamaji

Online roamer_1

Welcome to my world... When the fires are raging out here, I won't be able to see the mountain right behind my house for a month or more... So thick you can feel it on your teeth.

Your government at its best.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Welcome to my world... When the fires are raging out here, I won't be able to see the mountain right behind my house for a month or more... So thick you can feel it on your teeth.

888cryingkitty 888cryingkitty

Offline Kamaji

You can’t even see the skyline in the photo.

@Kamaji

It’s pretty dark now, just from the smoke. 

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

It's not a contest, for crying out loud.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
We're dealing with some of this in my neck of the woods as well.

On top of two weeks without any rain (though the cool weather has kept the water table from plummeting, so we're OK for now, though the grass is in full late-August mode). Basically the whole area smells like barbecue, which isn't horrible. We had some of the smoke from the western Canada wildfires in late May, but those were much higher in the atmosphere and didn't smell of anything. This was all low-level smoke.

To bring the weather side into this discussion, what's going on is that a low-pressure system is parked right to the southeast of these wildfires, and all that smoke is getting sucked into that circulation, which pours down over the eastern United States.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Idiot

We're dealing with some of this in my neck of the woods as well.

On top of two weeks without any rain (though the cool weather has kept the water table from plummeting, so we're OK for now, though the grass is in full late-August mode). Basically the whole area smells like barbecue, which isn't horrible. We had some of the smoke from the western Canada wildfires in late May, but those were much higher in the atmosphere and didn't smell of anything. This was all low-level smoke.

To bring the weather side into this discussion, what's going on is that a low-pressure system is parked right to the southeast of these wildfires, and all that smoke is getting sucked into that circulation, which pours down over the eastern United States.
When in doubt fire up the BBQ grill and enjoy!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Yep. Red sun at noon, less than 1/4 mile visibility (according to the weather service), when normally here you can see for 10+. Palpable taste of smoke in the air, serious woodsmoke smell in everything.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Yep. Red sun at noon, less than 1/4 mile visibility (according to the weather service), when normally here you can see for 10+. Palpable taste of smoke in the air, serious woodsmoke smell in everything.

It's nothing like that in NYC.  Like with so many other things, IMHO, NY is simply overreacting.

Offline Smokin Joe

The simple implication is that seriously shitty forest management practices, and an end by governmental entities to a tremendous amount of logging in the northwest leaves fuel loads that materially contribute to the severity and duration of the wildfires in the northern Rockies. (Not to mention the economic malaise brought on by the elimination of an industry.)

No one is implying this is a contest, but I, for one am saying that much of this was/is avoidable with more traditional forest management policy.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Who said it was a contest? A statement of commiseration, because we can have those conditions for months, because government will not put the fires out or allow the logging that would control it, somehow makes it a contest?

Online roamer_1

We only had a taste of these fires in May... filled the valley up for a few days... But I lived through that with deep foreboding... To get socked in, and so early in the season... something spooky in that...

Online roamer_1

For those of y'all dealing with the smoke in hot conditions, them big, roll-around air conditioners are a life saver. Because they draw from within the house and exhaust out a window, rather than drawing from outside like most window units, the smoke will stay outside and you'll have a cool haven to return to.

Online libertybele

I feel for all of those going through this, it has to be absolutely awful!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

For those of y'all dealing with the smoke in hot conditions, them big, roll-around air conditioners are a life saver. Because they draw from within the house and exhaust out a window, rather than drawing from outside like most window units, the smoke will stay outside and you'll have a cool haven to return to.

Good tip!!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

It's nothing like that in NYC.  Like with so many other things, IMHO, NY is simply overreacting.

When air quality is detrimental to your health, that is not overreacting.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

How do the Global Climate Change kommisars plan to deal with wildfires?  Ban forests?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

Most New Yorkers have a bigger risk to their health from being run over by a city bus than from the smoke.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

It's gotten better since then.  The sky is still smoky, but not deep orange.

Offline mountaineer

It's the Bee, but this really is the sort of things Dems call for, isn't it?

Eric Adams Calls On All New York Residents To Blow Really Hard Toward Canada On Count Of Three
Jun 7, 2023 · BabylonBee.com
https://babylonbee.com/news/eric-adams-calls-on-all-new-york-residents-to-blow-really-hard-towards-canada-on-count-of-three
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Eric Adams Calls On All New York Residents To Blow Really Hard Toward Canada On Count Of Three
https://babylonbee.com/news/eric-adams-calls-on-all-new-york-residents-to-blow-really-hard-towards-canada-on-count-of-three

:silly:

Offline Smokin Joe

Some years, we put up with months of this and worse, because of stupid forest management policies enacted, demanded, by people who don't know any better. On average, there are 4 people per square mile in my state. Ordinarily, we'd have some of the cleanest air in the country, then the wildfires start out west.

Now the results of those "tree-hugging/planet-loving" policies have finally come home to roost on East Coast doorsteps, my only concern is that the real problem will never be addressed, and that it will continue, same ol' same ol', with new restrictions on things that had nothing to do with the problem instead of the sort of changes in policy that would help reduce it.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Y'all huff and you puff and...

C S Lewis