Author Topic: Bill to Stop Employees Confronting Shoplifters Passed by California Senate  (Read 673 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Bill to Stop Employees Confronting Shoplifters Passed by California Senate
By Chloe Mayer On 6/5/23 at 12:15 PM EDT

Lawmakers in California are hoping to push through controversial legislation that would ban retail staff from stopping thieves stealing from their stores.

Senate Bill 553, which was submitted by State Senator Dave Cortese, has been passed by the State Senate and will now progress to policy committees in the State Assembly. Cortese hopes the proposed law will prevent workplace violence and protect staff from being forced by their employers to step-in during robberies. But some store bosses are furious about the plans, with the California Retailers Association mocking the move as an open invitation for thieves "to come in and steal."

The political wrangling in California comes just weeks after Home Depot security guard Blake Mohs, 26, was shot to death during an attempted robbery in Pleasanton, California. Other cities in the state are also facing their own problems as they attempt to deal with lawlessness.

San Francisco has been gripped by a crimewave that has seen Whole Foods close its downtown location after just a year of business, with bosses saying they were unable to "ensure the safety" of their staff in the city. Nordstrom followed suit by leaving the city this month, but many smaller businesses have had no choice but to remain, despite attacks on their premises.

more
https://www.newsweek.com/store-retail-violence-robbery-theft-stealing-california-1804565
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DB

The stupid doubles down...

Online Kamaji

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The Stupid will only get worse in Cali as the non-Stupid leave the state.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

Basically, stores will simply board themselves up the way liquor stores in Detroit are boarded up, with a single point of contact from behind bullet-proof glass, and the customer has to tell the clerk what he/she wants, and then wait for the clerk to obtain the goods and bring them to the front for purchase.  Once payment is made, the goods will be transferred through a one-way airlock system that cannot be used by a would-be shoplifter to enter the store itself.

Most other stores that don't want to go the Fort Knox route will simply close up and leave California.

Online libertybele

The Stupid will only get worse in Cali as the non-Stupid leave the state.

All led by Governor Newsom; what a guy!  *****rollingeyes*****
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

Basically, stores will simply board themselves up the way liquor stores in Detroit are boarded up, with a single point of contact from behind bullet-proof glass, and the customer has to tell the clerk what he/she wants, and then wait for the clerk to obtain the goods and bring them to the front for purchase.  Once payment is made, the goods will be transferred through a one-way airlock system that cannot be used by a would-be shoplifter to enter the store itself.

Most other stores that don't want to go the Fort Knox route will simply close up and leave California.

Like State Farm and Allstate just did with home insurance. They said no more to the entire state.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Don't worry, amateurs!

The professional thieves have your back!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Lawmakers in California are hoping to push through controversial legislation that would ban retail staff from stopping thieves stealing from their stores."

Just amazin'...
How crazy can it get?

See this "prediction post" I put up three years back:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,407004.msg2241037.html#msg2241037
(only take 20 seconds to read)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The stupid doubles down...

@DB

It is NOT stupid if your goal is to cause riots that lead to bankruptcy due to thefts and loss of customers due to the riots and ORGANIZED VIOLENCE.

Once you have created anarchy in all the major cities,you can then DEMAND the US Constitution be
removed in order for the "proper authorities" to arrest anyone caught in possession of a firearm,as well as anyone who  tries to defy "legal authority".

Which will,of course,lead to anarchy in the streets and a new "Law and Order Government" that is not hindered by such  minor  things as individual liberties,the right to possess a firearm,the right to resist being robbed because that "contributes to violence",etc,etc,etc.

WELCOME TO WORLDWIDE GOVERNMENT,INC!,where the guberment is always right because our masters SAY it is always right.

Not to worry,though. You WILL have all the rights the government thinks you need.

We iz da wurld.......

We iz da peep-pulls.....,

C'mon,sang hit wid me,comrades!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Like State Farm and Allstate just did with home insurance. They said no more to the entire state.

@DB

Isn't maintaining insurance a requirement that MUST be filled to obtain a mortgage? Looks to me like a LOT of people who are buying homes due to bank loans are going to lose their investments and be homeless.

Unless you are a "Comrade in good standing with a government approved job",of course.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online DB

@DB

Isn't maintaining insurance a requirement that MUST be filled to obtain a mortgage? Looks to me like a LOT of people who are buying homes due to bank loans are going to lose their investments and be homeless.

Unless you are a "Comrade in good standing with a government approved job",of course.

It is. There are other insurers in the state - at least for now...