Author Topic: 'American Pie' icon Don McLean on AI: 'It'll be better than what passes itself off as music today'  (Read 367 times)

Offline DB

I studied philosophy in college and loved it very much. But when we need to discuss such things today as "What’s a man?" and "What’s a woman?" when it's obvious horse sense — we shouldn't have to do this. When you get into these kinds of discussions, that to me is another indication of craziness.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/american-pie-icon-don-mclean-ai-better-than-what-passes-itself-music

Offline DB

A pretty good interview of today's music, young people and technology.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
One hit may be all you need, if the hit is big enough.

I remember seeing Don back around 1968-69 or so, doing a song or two at a Pete Seeger concert. One of them may even have been "American Pie" (or a piece of it) before it became a studio recording.

Don studied finance in school.
He figures he's made around $150 million from the song in his career.
Very good piece here:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/american-pie-singer-don-mclean-has-made-150-million-in-his-career-heres-what-hes-done-with-it-2019-03-25

More power to him.
And another slice of pie...

Online mountaineer

I saw Don McLean open for Roberta Flack around 1973 or 1974. He was okay, kind of churlish, but I was there to see Roberta, anyway.
Yet today, he said, "How can you tell the difference between the songs? It's just like a rhythm section and a mindless chorus that goes on over and over, and it's not very melodic. And I've been saying this, actually, on stage, that I can't imagine a computer that can't make better music than this."
I couldn't agree more. Just the other day I finally heard a Rihanna song. Big star! Wow, she must be great! OMG, what unmusical drivel.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
I saw Don McLean open for Roberta Flack around 1973 or 1974. He was okay, kind of churlish, but I was there to see Roberta, anyway.I couldn't agree more. Just the other day I finally heard a Rihanna song. Big star! Wow, she must be great! OMG, what unmusical drivel.

Trying not to be jealous that you attended a Roberta Flack concert….
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online mountaineer

Trying not to be jealous that you attended a Roberta Flack concert….
:laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org