Author Topic: UN climate chief calls fossil fuel phase out key to curbing warming but may not be on talks' agenda  (Read 413 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

UN climate chief calls fossil fuel phase out key to curbing warming but may not be on talks' agenda
Story by By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer • 10h ago

The world needs to phase out fossil fuels if it wants to curb global warming, the United Nations climate chief said in an interview with The Associated Press. But he said the idea might not make it on to the agenda of “make-or-break” international climate negotiations this fall, run in and by an oil haven.

A phase out of heat-trapping fossil fuels “is something that is at top of every discussion or most discussions that are taking place,” U.N. climate Executive Secretary Simon Stiell said. “It is an issue that has global attention. How that translates into an agenda item and a (climate talks) outcome we will see.”

Stiell told AP he couldn't quite promise it would get a spot on the agenda in climate talks, called COP28, in Dubai later this year.

That agenda decision is up to the president of the negotiations, Stiell said. He is the head of the state-owned Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, Sultan al-Jaber.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/un-climate-chief-calls-fossil-fuel-phase-out-key-to-curbing-warming-but-may-not-be-on-talks-agenda/ar-AA1c85C2?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=2564e71901cf4c78bbfd0fb5e8137c2e&ei=21
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Here in the southwest corner of New England, the furnace came on last night (and I have the thermostat set at 68).

To paraphrase Burt Lancaster in "Deliverance":
"Global warming, my a$$"

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'm from North Dakota.

Why would I object to milder temperatures in winter?

I do object to all these people where it gets hot wanting my winters colder.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I'm from North Dakota.

Why would I object to milder temperatures in winter?

I do object to all these people where it gets hot wanting my winters colder.

Well snow on the ground for hunting season is pretty convenient... And eventually I'd miss the snow machine and plowing out the driveway...

Not that I am worried I'll be missing out any time soon. We seem to be getting MORE winter recently, not less...  :shrug:

That trend will exist well past my expiration date, if history is any witness.  :shrug: