Author Topic: In Texas, a Clean-Energy Pioneer, the Tide Turns Against Renewables  (Read 135 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NITASHIA JOHNSON FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
In Texas, a Clean-Energy Pioneer, the Tide Turns Against Renewables
The state welcomed wind and solar power for years, fueling rapid growth; now Republicans want a rollback
By Jennifer Hiller , Phred Dvorak and Katherine Blunt
May 26, 2023 9:00 am ET

For many Texas Republicans these days, renewable power is about as welcome as a porcupine at a nudist colony.

In the state capitol in Austin, Republicans are targeting wind and solar power with a slate of bills that would clamp down on renewable projects by, among other things, adding additional environmental requirements and excluding them from a state tax break.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, who effectively controls the legislative agenda, has vowed that lawmakers won’t leave Austin this month without approving legislation that would spur the construction and maintenance of conventional power plants, calling renewable energy a “luxury.”

Across the U.S., renewable-energy projects have slowed in part due to local opposition that has thrown uncertainty into previously routine permitting and development. The potential turnaround is especially sharp in Texas, a state known for its open business policies that is now home to America’s greatest concentration of wind, solar and battery storage projects.

https://archive.is/KvwYE#selection-91.0-255.1
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson