Author Topic: No, BANG, The California Coastline Isn’t Going to be “Wiped Out” by Climate Change  (Read 193 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
No, BANG, The California Coastline Isn’t Going to be “Wiped Out” by Climate Change
By Anthony Watts -June 2, 20230

A May 30, 2023 article by Hannah Kanik, writing for the Bay Area News Group (BANG), titled “Can California’s coastline be saved? Study shows up to 70% could be wiped out by 2100,” was circulated in dozens of newspapers served by the news outlet. Kanik’s claim that California’s coastlines could disappear isn’t just misleading, it’s absurd. It is based on flawed climate model projections, and ignores causes for erosion unrelated to climate change. Real world data indicates the actual cause of the erosion discussed in the article are the tides and weather.

Kanik’s story is based on a study issued by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), which “…found from 25% to 70% of California’s beaches could erode by 2100 due to rising sea levels caused by global temperature increases and greenhouse gas emissions.”

Kanik writes:

The U.S. States Geological Survey used two decades worth of satellite imagery of Ocean Beach in San Francisco — combined with models of sea levels rising from 1.6 to 10 feet due to global temperature increases — to estimate how the entire state’s coastline will shift in the next century.

That range is expected to vary based on the rate and reduction of carbon emissions over time.

While it may seem like that reality is in the distant future, the West Coast could see its sea levels rise up to eight inches in the next 25 years, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

https://climaterealism.com/2023/06/no-bang-the-california-coastline-isnt-going-to-be-wiped-out-by-climate-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"A May 30, 2023 article by Hannah Kanik, writing for the Bay Area News Group (BANG), titled “Can California’s coastline be saved? Study shows up to 70% could be wiped out by 2100,”"

Psssst...!
Ms. Kanik...!
Don't stop at "the coastline".
Do the rest of America a favor...
Take out the ENTIRE state!
That's more like it!

Online DB

No, BANG, The California Coastline Isn’t Going to be “Wiped Out” by Climate Change
By Anthony Watts -June 2, 20230

A May 30, 2023 article by Hannah Kanik, writing for the Bay Area News Group (BANG), titled “Can California’s coastline be saved? Study shows up to 70% could be wiped out by 2100,” was circulated in dozens of newspapers served by the news outlet. Kanik’s claim that California’s coastlines could disappear isn’t just misleading, it’s absurd. It is based on flawed climate model projections, and ignores causes for erosion unrelated to climate change. Real world data indicates the actual cause of the erosion discussed in the article are the tides and weather.

Kanik’s story is based on a study issued by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), which “…found from 25% to 70% of California’s beaches could erode by 2100 due to rising sea levels caused by global temperature increases and greenhouse gas emissions.”

Kanik writes:

The U.S. States Geological Survey used two decades worth of satellite imagery of Ocean Beach in San Francisco — combined with models of sea levels rising from 1.6 to 10 feet due to global temperature increases — to estimate how the entire state’s coastline will shift in the next century.

That range is expected to vary based on the rate and reduction of carbon emissions over time.

While it may seem like that reality is in the distant future, the West Coast could see its sea levels rise up to eight inches in the next 25 years, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

https://climaterealism.com/2023/06/no-bang-the-california-coastline-isnt-going-to-be-wiped-out-by-climate-change/

What an idiot. That "range" is because they don't know with any real certainty any of what they claim. That's just a catch all.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

California coast-line is hilly, unlike Florida.  The only losers would be celebrities and rich bastids with houses on Malibu Beach.  The sea lions, elephant seals, and great white sharks will figure something out ... they've been adpating to Climate Change for millions of years.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.