Author Topic: Battle Looms Among New York Democrats Over High Cost of Green Energy Plans  (Read 232 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
OPINION
Battle Looms Among New York Democrats Over High Cost of Green Energy Plans
While the public overwhelmingly supports taking action against climate change, people’s willingness to pay for that action is very limited.

JAMES HANLEY

Saturday, May 13, 2023
05:31:00 am

The stage is set for a battle royale within the New York Democratic Party over climate policy. Governor Hochul has suddenly realized that the cost of the state’s planned emission reduction scheme will be “extraordinary,” and is challenging her own party to make the climate law less damaging to New Yorkers’ pocketbooks. Will the left wing of her party go along?

In this year’s budget negotiations Ms. Hochul and the legislature agreed to a cap-and-invest program as recommended by the state’s Climate Action Council. Cap-and-invest programs put an annual limit on the amount of greenhouse gas emissions New York businesses collectively emit, with the amount declining each year. Businesses will have to bid for an ever-decreasing number of permits and naturally will pass the costs on to consumers by raising prices.

But a wrinkle in the Climate Act will make those costs more than half as much as they would be under Hochul’s proposed change.

https://archive.is/Zj62x#selection-247.0-351.126
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

For Climate Change initiatives to remain viable, they require Government subsidization, because they are not cost-competitive in the free, open market.

The Government can subsidize the suppliers and the consumers.  The typical Dem approach will be to create "affordable energy" subsidy programs for some, while others see a decreased standard of living to pay for it.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
For Climate Change initiatives to remain viable, they require Government subsidization, because they are not cost-competitive in the free, open market.

The Government can subsidize the suppliers and the consumers.  The typical Dem approach will be to create "affordable energy" subsidy programs for some, while others see a decreased standard of living to pay for it.
'Others' pay for it twice.
Once to pay for the subsidies, and again when they get their bill.

Considering New York's policies have negatively impacted energy consumers in the rest of New England, if any of the Secretaries of State or Attorney Generals of those states had a set, they'd be figuring out how to sue New York over the blocking of interstate commerce and damage to their own.

:pop41:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 08:30:44 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis