Author Topic: U.S. SUPREME COURT UPHOLDS CALIFORNIA’S PROPOSITION 12 (Rules against pork producers)  (Read 811 times)

Offline mountaineer

U.S. SUPREME COURT UPHOLDS CALIFORNIA’S PROPOSITION 12; RULES 5-4 AGAINST NATIONAL PORK PRODUCERS COUNCIL (NPPC) AND AMERICAN FARM BUREAU FEDERATION (AFBF)
By Jaclyn Krymowski
Protect The Harvest
If recent drought, inflation, supply chain disruptions, and regulatory overreach haven’t been challenging enough to America’s farmers and ranchers, pork producers and consumers have now been dealt a significant gut punch by the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS).

In early May 2023, SCOTUS ruled in favor of California’s Proposition 12. The 2018 ballot initiative was passed by the state’s voters as the result of an intense animal rights-funded campaign that inaccurately depicted hogs, veal calves, and egg-laying hens as being treated inhumanely. The ruling reinforces the authority of states to impose regulations that impact the entire nation.

Prop 12 created a battleground when California voters passed it into state law on November 6, 2018. Created, and promoted, by a myriad of animal extremist groups, the ballot initiative targeted animal welfare, specifically requiring larger space requirements for housing egg-laying hens, swine, and veal calves.

NPPC and AFBF challenged California based on regulatory overreach into other states, and the Constitution’s Commerce Clause that is supposed to prevent states from harming each other. Protect The Harvest provided a briefing document in support of the NPPC and AFBF case with SCOTUS. While California produces less than one percent of the pork consumed in the state, Californians eat about 13 percent of the nation’s pork production. ...

Scott Hays, NPPC President, and a Missouri pork producer, explained the implications of California’s Prop 12:
“We are very disappointed with the Supreme Court’s opinion. Allowing state overreach will increase prices for consumers and drive small farms out of business, leading to more consolidation. We are still evaluating the Court’s full opinion to understand all the implications. NPPC will continue to fight for our nation’s pork farmers and American families against misguided regulations.”
This has huge impacts for all states planning to export pork to California.  ...
Full story at Protect The Harvest
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
This has huge impacts for all states planning to export pork to California
Uhm, I suspect the impact will be "huger" for consumers of pork in California. Expect prices to skyrocket due to limited supply. The rest of the US will simply stop shipping to CA and rightfully so due to such a frigging stupid "law".
I've since found a local farmer who raises their own locally and though the prices are a bit steep, will patronize them.
Sick of this damned state and its need to insert themselves into EVERY aspect of our lives.
Cannot wait to leave...the clock is ticking.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Kamaji

Uhm, I suspect the impact will be "huger" for consumers of pork in California. Expect prices to skyrocket due to limited supply. The rest of the US will simply stop shipping to CA and rightfully so due to such a frigging stupid "law".
I've since found a local farmer who raises their own locally and though the prices are a bit steep, will patronize them.
Sick of this damned state and its need to insert themselves into EVERY aspect of our lives.
Cannot wait to leave...the clock is ticking.

:thumbsup:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I foresee a meat mafia rising in California to smuggle illicit meats into California.

With every Government regulation there comes an opportunity for criminals to fill the void.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
While I believe in State's Rights, this will be greatly abused.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

That's the way I see it, too.  It's no different than gasoline with the special blends California demands.  Refiners are still free to sell non-California-approved blends to other States.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Exactly.  SCOTUS is forcing Californians to live with the consequences of their own decisions.  That's how a republic is supposed to work.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
If this means more cheaper bacon for meee I'm not going to argue.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Yeah more pork for the rest of us!