Author Topic: Heavy skyscrapers causing New York City to sink, geologists warn  (Read 857 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Heavy skyscrapers causing New York City to sink, geologists warn
05/22/2023 / By Belle Carter

Geological research published in Earth’s Future journal earlier this month revealed that the weight of skyscrapers in New York City (NYC) is causing the Big Apple to sink lower into its surrounding bodies of water at a rate of one to two millimeters a year, with some areas subsiding much faster.

The more than one million buildings in NYC, which include the iconic Empire State Building and Chrysler Building, were found to weigh nearly 1.7 trillion pounds, which is roughly the equivalent of 140 million elephants.

According to lead researcher and geologist Tom Parsons of the United States Geological Survey, the gradual descent makes NYC extremely vulnerable to natural disasters, with lower Manhattan particularly found to be at the highest risk. Brooklyn and Queens are also areas of concern.

“New York faces significant challenges from flood hazard; the threat of sea level rise is three to four times higher than the global average along the Atlantic coast of North America … A deeply concentrated population of 8.4 million people faces varying degrees of hazard from inundation in New York City,” Parsons and his team wrote in the report.

The research pointed out that NYC has already seen these harsh effects starting more than a decade ago.

https://www.climate.news/2023-05-22-heavy-skyscrapers-causing-nyc-to-sink.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Heavy skyscrapers causing New York City to sink, geologists warn
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 10:40:47 am »
Climate terrorists will, of course, refer to this as sea level rise. :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 05:03:25 pm »
Will Manhattan tip over like Guam?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 05:21:02 pm »
If enough people flee for greener pastures, maybe that will slow the rate of subsidence...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 06:57:51 pm »
Will Manhattan tip over like Guam?

Nah!  We make our islands safer than Guam! :whistle:
Thomas Jefferson

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 07:19:04 pm »
According to all the climate change fruit loops, we'll all be underwater sooner or later.  Insurance companies are basing their rates on that data.  Our flood insurance went up because within the next 50 years we have a chance of flooding by 1".
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 07:44:58 pm »
Nah!  We make our islands safer than Guam! :whistle:
Well, Guam is one of Islands, just sayin :tongue2:

Guam became a U.S. territory in 1898 and placed under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Navy. The Guam Organic Act of 1950 conferred U.S. citizenship on Guamanians and established the territory's government. The Act also transferred Federal jurisdiction over Guam from the U.S. Navy to the Department of the Interior.

It even became a U.S. territory two years before Hawaii.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 07:50:23 pm »
According to all the climate change fruit loops, we'll all be underwater sooner or later.  Insurance companies are basing their rates on that data.  Our flood insurance went up because within the next 50 years we have a chance of flooding by 1".
I not only live in a flood zone but also a tsunami and earthquake zone...yippee ki yay!

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 08:26:28 pm »
Well, Guam is one of Islands, just sayin :tongue2:

So is Manhattan!
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 09:58:18 pm »
They sent a carrier out from Norfolk
And picked the Yankees up for free
They said that Queens could stay
They blew the Bronx away
And sank Manhattan out at sea

(Billy Joel, "Miami 2017")

They won't even have to tow Manhattan out.
Instead, it can just "sink in place"...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 10:11:57 pm »
I not only live in a flood zone but also a tsunami and earthquake zone...yippee ki yay!

Yikes!!  You're insurance must be astronomical.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 12:26:34 am »
Yikes!!  You're insurance must be astronomical.
Well I got kicked in the teeth economically a decade or so ago so I live in an apartment now, hey a bright point I don't have to pay all that insurance anymore, just renters. I guess I will just have to take that as a win?  :shrug:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 12:58:19 am »
Well I got kicked in the teeth economically a decade or so ago so I live in an apartment now, hey a bright point I don't have to pay all that insurance anymore, just renters. I guess I will just have to take that as a win?  :shrug:

Getting kicked in the teeth is about right. Those in FL have been warned that their premiums are due to rise 40% -- that's not adding in the increase in flood insurance premiums.  After 30 years in this area, we are contemplating the need to move.  Where to is the question.  We're so used to the heat and mild winters, it's going to be difficult especially at our age.

I foresee lots of people having to move out of the area.  Coming up with that kind of money on a fixed income is going to be difficult.

Rent around here is sky high so that's not an option.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 12:59:32 am by libertybele »