Author Topic: Race activists in West Oakland, California, demand reparations for 'climate justice'  (Read 141 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Race activists in West Oakland, California, demand reparations for 'climate justice': Residents claim rising sea levels will bring contaminated soil caused by historic industrialization to the surface and endanger their health

San Francisco Bay community of West Oakland faces an environmental threat caused by toxic waste lurking in soil as water levels rise due to climate change

Residents, predominantly people of color, are advocating for climate justice as a means of reparations as buried contaminants will likely rise to the surface

There is an urgency with human-induced climate change already causing groundwater levels to rise in West Oakland and other parts of the Bay Area
By JAMES GORDON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 21:09 EDT, 30 May 2023 | UPDATED: 07:35 EDT, 31 May 2023

The community of West Oakland in the San Francisco Bay area faces a new environmental threat in the form of toxic waste lurking beneath the soil with residents calling for 'climate justice' in the form of reparations.

The threat is in addition to existing pollution residents must deal with in what are predominantly communities of color.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12141815/Race-activists-West-Oakland-California-say-rising-sea-levels-not-fault-demand-reparations.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson