Author Topic: Trump dismisses 2024 GOP rivals, rips DeSantis for insisting a two-term president is needed  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Kamaji

Trump dismisses 2024 GOP rivals, rips DeSantis for insisting a two-term president is needed

By Victor Nava
June 1, 2023

Former President Donald Trump on Thursday criticized his 2024 Republican presidential primary rivals for jumping into the race and ripped his top competitor for insisting a two-term GOP president is needed to reverse the policies of the Biden administration.

Trump, 76, took aim at his opponents during a pre-taped town hall event in Clive, Iowa, moderated by Fox News host Sean Hannity.

The ex-commander-in-chief laid into Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis when asked by Hannity how quickly he’d be able to “shift gears” and address the crisis at the southern border, make the country energy independent, improve school systems and “bring back law and order and safety and security” if elected. 

“I think very quickly,” Trump responded, before referencing comments DeSantis made Tuesday in Iowa about the importance of electing a candidate that would be eligible to serve two terms in office.

“Let me just say, so I heard DeSantis saying, ‘Oh, well, I get eight years, I get eight years, he gets four.’ You don’t need four and you don’t need eight, you need six months. Within six months,” Trump said, adding, “And frankly, I wouldn’t vote for him because he said you need eight years. You need six months.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/01/trump-dismisses-2024-gop-rivals-rips-desantis-for-insisting-a-two-term-president-is-needed/

Offline Kamaji

:mauslaff:

More b.s. from the b.s. master himself.

Trump couldn't get jacksh*t accomplished in four years, even with a GOP controlled Congress, and now he thinks he can get full reform of the federal government accomplished in six months?

:facepalm2:

Offline kevindavis007

Guy is losing his mind.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Idiot

Guy is losing his mind.
He and Biden both have lost it.  At least Trump can at least stand at this point.  :silly:

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Trump couldn't get jacksh*t accomplished in four years, even with a GOP controlled Congress, and now he thinks he can get full reform of the federal government accomplished in six months?

He had a full majority; yet the border remained opened.  The number one issue that he ran on.  FAILURE!

He promised twice to calm the riots, with Bible in hand at one point in time, yet the riots continued. FAILURE!

He did have us energy independent. He had inflation under control. He had unemployment under control. He re-negotiated NAFTA and he had respect from many countries.  The USA was gleaming again -- ACCOMPLISHMENTS!!!  :patriot:

It is unfortunate that he doesn't campaign on his accomplishments rather he goes after conservatives.  What worked for him in '16 isn't going to work for him again.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

That was DeSantis' response, and it is pretty damn effective.  Trump broke his promise to "drain the swamp" before, and there is zero reason to assume it will be any different this time around.

Trump is an anti-establishment guy who doesn't understand - or even seem to care - how that government establishment works.  Absent that understanding, he'll lose every single time.

The worst part about it is that he has zero intellectual curiosity, doesn't read or study, and so has no better idea how the government works now than he did in 2016.  Perfect evidence of that is his ridiculous claim that he can eliminate birthright citizenship with an Executive Order on his first day in office.  Nobody with an understanding of our constitutional or legal system would ever believe that to be true. 

He has learned nothing of substance between 2016 and today, and doesn't even seem to care that he hasn't learned.  He figures that by the time people figure out that he has failed to deliver on his promises yet again, it'll be too late because he'll already be in office.

Fool me twice....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 03:27:40 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online roamer_1

He did have us energy independent. He had inflation under control. He had unemployment under control. He re-negotiated NAFTA and he had respect from many countries.  The USA was gleaming again -- ACCOMPLISHMENTS!!!  :patriot:

Well no... He kicked the can on inflation. It's a lagging indicator, which means, it takes a while to show up... All that 'prosperity' he printed is like going out partying on a credit card. Sooner or later the bill comes due. And that's a big part of the inflation we are experiencing now.

I agree with energy independence, unemployment, and foreign policy.

Offline DB

That was DeSantis' response, and it is pretty damn effective.  Trump broke his promise to "drain the swamp" before, and there is zero reason to assume it will be any different this time around.

Trump is an anti-establishment guy who doesn't understand - or even seem to care - how that government establishment works.  Absent that understanding, he'll lose every single time.

The worst part about it is that he has zero intellectual curiosity, doesn't read or study, and so has no better idea how the government works now than he did in 2016.  Perfect evidence of that is his ridiculous claim that he can eliminate birthright citizenship with an Executive Order on his first day in office.  Nobody with an understanding of our constitutional or legal system would ever believe that to be true. 

He has learned nothing of substance between 2016 and today, and doesn't even seem to care that he hasn't learned.  He figures that by the time people figure out that he has failed to deliver on his promises yet again, it'll be too late because he'll already be in office.

Fool me twice....

Carnaval barkers play to emotion, not reason. They have to drown reason with emotion to get what they want.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

DeSantis ... 2 terms ... Diet Donald Trump is getting ahead of himself ... he needs to win a Primary or Caucus first ... like Hitler's Operation Sea Lion, DeSantis is already making (figurative) street signs for his presumed Presidency ... Ron is not as inevitable as Hillary
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

He had a full majority; yet the border remained opened.  The number one issue that he ran on.  FAILURE!

He promised twice to calm the riots, with Bible in hand at one point in time, yet the riots continued. FAILURE!

It is unfortunate that he doesn't campaign on his accomplishments rather he goes after conservatives.  What worked for him in '16 isn't going to work for him again.

WADR, economic things, like inflation and employment, are not things presidents do; mainly the economy goes well when the president and Congress do nothing and do not interfere.  So Trump can be credited for not having meddled with the economy in ways that would have increased inflation or unemployment, but he didn't really do anything affirmative to cause inflation to be low or unemployment to be low.

Offline DB

WADR, economic things, like inflation and employment, are not things presidents do; mainly the economy goes well when the president and Congress do nothing and do not interfere.  So Trump can be credited for not having meddled with the economy in ways that would have increased inflation or unemployment, but he didn't really do anything affirmative to cause inflation to be low or unemployment to be low.

He signed off and provided little resistance to massive spending for four years with money created out of thin air. Creating money out of thin air is the root cause of inflation. It reduces its value requiring more of it to purchase things of value.

Offline Kamaji

He signed off and provided little resistance to massive spending for four years with money created out of thin air. Creating money out of thin air is the root cause of inflation. It reduces its value requiring more of it to purchase things of value.

Yup, which means he lit the fuse - or helped light the fuse - on the inflation.  So even on economic matters, he doesn't have much in the way of accomplishments.

Offline DB

Yup, which means he lit the fuse - or helped light the fuse - on the inflation.  So even on economic matters, he doesn't have much in the way of accomplishments.

There was an energy boom that he played a large part in. Energy is the life blood of a modern society. It underpins all production improving everyone's standard of living when costs are lowered. I'll give him credit for that.

Offline Kamaji

There was an energy boom that he played a large part in. Energy is the life blood of a modern society. It underpins all production improving everyone's standard of living when costs are lowered. I'll give him credit for that.

What role did he play?  Did he remove significant regulatory barriers? 

Offline DB

What role did he play?  Did he remove significant regulatory barriers?

Yes, his administration did. Ask @Smokin Joe

Online roamer_1

Yes, his administration did. Ask @Smokin Joe

I would agree with that... We went to top exporter and energy independence exactly in Tumpy's watch. there is no question that his administration was favorable toward Energy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I would agree with that... We went to top exporter and energy independence exactly in Tumpy's watch. there is no question that his administration was favorable toward Energy

And yet because he was who he was, he couldn't make any of its stick. It all reversed the moment he left office.

The inability to build and maintain an effective legislative coalition cripples the effectiveness of any presidential administration.  And Trump would begin a 2024 administration with far more enemies than he had in 2016.

Offline Kamaji

And yet because he was who he was, he couldn't make any of its stick. It all reversed the moment he left office.

The inability to build and maintain an effective legislative coalition cripples the effectiveness of any presidential administration.  And Trump would begin a 2024 administration with far more enemies than he had in 2016.

:thumbsup:

Online roamer_1

That's fair, and right, but really doesn't pack a lot of weight... Because pro or con, what presidents are messin with is regulation and permitting, and what to enforce, and how hard to enforce it...

And all that is well within the presidential bailiwick. Outside of Congress hard coding things away from that regulatory power, I don't see how that can change.

Offline corbe

Appointing the X CEO of EXON as SOS may have had something to do with that.

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerson (Music Video 2020)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abKoZ6sfiCQ
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Okay, just spitballin but if a two term president isn't needed, doesn't that mean by inference, that a two term term president wasn't need back in 2020 so why did Trump run?

Online LMAO

Energy, the border, and judges were the three big areas were Donald Trump shined

Debt, crime, maturity, and, people are right, laying the foundation for the inflation that we saw are the negatives from his presidency
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

That's fair, and right, but really doesn't pack a lot of weight... Because pro or con, what presidents are messin with is regulation and permitting, and what to enforce, and how hard to enforce it...

And all that is well within the presidential bailiwick. Outside of Congress hard coding things away from that regulatory power I don't see how that can change.

That's kind of the point.   If all you can do are regulatory actions and EO's, your power to change the direction of the country is going to be fleeting at best.  So those viewing Trump as the guy who is truly going to Make America Great Again if elected are going to be bitterly disappointed.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well no... He kicked the can on inflation. It's a lagging indicator, which means, it takes a while to show up... All that 'prosperity' he printed is like going out partying on a credit card. Sooner or later the bill comes due. And that's a big part of the inflation we are experiencing now.

I agree with energy independence, unemployment, and foreign policy.
Energy independence does not happen overnight. The horizontal drilling boom had been building since the 90s, and when it was discovered that unconventional reservoirs like the Bakken, Three Forks, those in the Permian Basin, Marcellus, Eagle Ford, and Utica Basins would respond well to that type of drilling and hydraulic fracturing, that boom really got rolling in the early 2000s.

What Trump did do was clear a lot of red tape here and there so projects could run to completion, and the results be seen. But that came in conjunction with the culmination of the efforts of tens, if not hundreds of thousands who worked and still work in the industry. Consider there is a generation of oilfield hands who have never worked on a vertical well.

That Obama said we couldn't do it was a thrown gauntlet, and we had already picked it up before he threw it. (An awful lot of the hands are good ol' boys, and never tell a redneck what he can't do...even a degree or two in geology, geophysics, or engineering doesn't take that out).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

It depends if the GOP maintains a majority in the House or can expand it and if they can recapture the Senate.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.