Author Topic: The Navy Is Building a Hypersonic Ship-Killing Missile Called HALO  (Read 98 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Navy Is Building a Hypersonic Ship-Killing Missile Called HALO
Story by Sébastien Roblin • Yesterday 8:11 AM

On Monday, defense giants Lockheed-Martin and Raytheon were both awarded contracts totaling $116 million between them by the U.S. Navy to separately develop prototype ship-sinking hypersonic missiles designed to sink ships hundreds of miles away for a program known as HALO (Hypersonic Air-launched Offensive). The competing initial design proposals are due in late 2024.

This likely-to-be scramjet-powered weapon, also known as Objective Anti-Surface Warfare Increment 2 (OASuW) in Navy budget documents, would be carried by the service’s carrier-based FA-18E/F Super Hornet and F-35 Lightning jet fighters and perhaps future successors. It’s expected to fly farther and much faster than the current LRASM stealth cruise missile.

The focus on anti-ship capabilities reflects the focus on a potential conflict with China in the western Pacific Ocean. Notably, simulations of a battle over Taiwan suggest it would be decided in large part by the effectiveness of long-range anti-ship missiles.

The Navy’s Need for Speedy Missiles

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-navy-is-building-a-hypersonic-ship-killing-missile-called-halo/ar-AA19gDFZ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=eab9ebe2c8b94d31a83b625224fa6b8d&ei=39
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson