Author Topic: 2023 Edition: What the media won't tell you about . . . hurricanes. The science and data reporters r  (Read 113 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
2023 Edition: What the media won't tell you about . . . hurricanes
The science and data reporters refuse to report

ROGER PIELKE JR.
JUN 1, 2023

The 2022 edition of this post is the 2nd-most viewed here at THB. The 2023 version, below, is completely new and with updated data and analysis. Please help get the word out by clicking share and sending to your favorite social media outlets. And if you’d like you can also share it with you favorite reporter on the climate beat!

Today is the official start to the 2023 hurricane season in the North Atlantic. Over the past few decades the media has increasing celebrated every hurricane as an indicator of climate change — whether juiced, intensified, linked, fueled — pick your favorite. Typically lost in the apocalyptic narrative has been actual science and data.

Below are five important conclusions from the scientific literature that are rarely, if ever, found in coverage of hurricanes.

1. The scientific consensus on hurricanes and climate change is clear and consistent.

In short —trends in hurricane activity outside the range of documented variability have not been detected, nor is there high confidence in connections of hurricane behavior to greenhouse gas emissions.

Don’t take it from me. Here is what the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said this month:

https://rogerpielkejr.substack.com/p/2023-update-what-the-media-wont-tell
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson