Author Topic: Social Security and Medicare Are Ticking Time Bombs  (Read 4762 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Social Security and Medicare Are Ticking Time Bombs
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2023, 02:00:33 am »
Here’s some advice.....

"blah,blah,blah,squared."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LMAO

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2023, 02:06:24 am »

Lol

Yeah, I figured that would be your reply. I don’t blame you and I accept your surrender.

But your reply still doesn’t change the facts. I can understand someone not understanding a subject and willing to learn more about it. It’s the choosing to remain ignorant despite the facts being presented that’s the problem. And what’s worse, you’re proud of your ignorance on this subject

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 10:52:32 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2023, 11:10:06 am »
Actually, I have met a few people like SP who falsely believe that SS and Medicare is money that was taken out of their checks to be returned to them upon turning 65. That is the true “ Big Lie.”

They believe, like SP does, that “it’s taken out of my check therefore, it’s mine.” But that money is spent the minute it gets to DC. When money is taken out of your check for Social Security, it is a tax, just like income tax, sales tax, property tax, etc. etc. You have no guarantee that you’re gonna get any of that back nor is there any law that requires that you do.

And people can put their fingers in her ears, and close her eyes and go “la la la la la la” all day. But that doesn’t mean reality goes away

Here is an interesting article about the so-called Social Security trust fund and an excerpt that’s applicable

“Nor do the purported trust “beneficiaries” have property in the fund to which they have an enforceable property right, as beneficiaries of a true trust do. Under questioning by Representative John McCormack of Massachusetts during the 1939 hearings, Board Chairman Altmeyer revealed that Social Security maintains no accounts containing funds earmarked for individuals, and never had.14 Its accounts, then, are just record-keeping entities: file folders, not piggy banks. No individual funds necessarily means no individual property in the Trust Fund.

Section 201 said nothing about property rights—for good reason. In arguing Helvering v. Davis (1937), the Supreme Court decision that upheld Social Security’s constitutionality, Assistant Attorney General Robert Jackson stated that under Social Security, “There is no contract created by which any person becomes entitled as a matter of right to sue the United States or to maintain a claim for any particular sum of money. Not only is there no contract implied but it is expressly negatived, because it is provided in the act, section 1104, that it may be repealed, altered, or amended in any of its provisions at any time.”

https://fee.org/articles/the-myth-of-the-social-security-trust-fund/

And there it is

SP has probably been told all his life that SS was his money taken out of his checks for his future. So he’s now learning for the first time that what he was told was a political lie. That explains his responses and resistance to facts

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 11:32:04 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2023, 01:16:43 pm »
Lol

@happy77

Yeah, I figured that would be your reply. I don’t blame you and I accept your surrender.

But your reply still doesn’t change the facts. I can understand someone not understanding a subject and willing to learn more about it. It’s the choosing to remain ignorant despite the facts being presented that’s the problem. And what’s worse, you’re proud of your ignorance on this subject

@LMAO

Yuh,weeze jist por dum rednecks  whut doan no whuts gud fur us,n need edumaticated beyond ur bility  ta comprehinde thunkers lak u ta show usins de way!

Macho grassyass,amaco!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 01:17:57 pm by sneakypete »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2023, 03:06:15 pm »
@LMAO

Yuh,weeze jist por dum rednecks  whut doan no whuts gud fur us,n need edumaticated beyond ur bility  ta comprehinde thunkers lak u ta show usins de way!

Macho grassyass,amaco!

Judging by your responses on this issue, presenting you with facts was an exercise in futility

Barry Goldwater

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2023, 04:27:56 pm »
Judging by your responses on this issue, presenting you with facts was an exercise in futility

@LMAO

Your problem is you confuse selfish self-interest with facts.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2023, 04:53:04 pm »
@LMAO

Your problem is you confuse selfish self-interest with facts.

No

You’re confusing opinions with facts. Ive provided facts. You’ve given opinions

There’s a difference. Believing in something doesn’t make it so

So, I’ll grant you one more courtesy to back your opinions. I’ve done my part. It’s now your turn

I’ll ask again

1) Show me were it’s the illegal immigrants vs demographics that’s contributing to SS insolvency

and, and I’ve asked this several times of you but still nothing

2) Show me were in the SS law that says you’re entitled to get back what you put in

No opinions. No strawman arguments. No “blah blah blah” replies. A link would be nice.

I’m confident you won’t or can’t do it but maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised this time

However, judging by your responses, I  have a hunch you didn’t read any of the links that I posted that back my case
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 05:03:58 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2023, 05:36:41 pm »
@sneakypete

Again...
I am disabled.
I am living off social security.

I stand with these fellows.

Ask why.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2023, 07:01:45 pm »
Interesting. On the one hand, posters assert there is no separate Social Security fund. THat the "lockbox" the Congress stuffed full of IOUs to fund other social programs (welfare, food stamps, subsidized housing) never existed and that those funds were always part of the general fund. Just another tax.

On the other hand, it is asserted that the billions being spent on providing the services the alleged 'lockbox' was raided for, now to millions of illegal aliens, as well as the usual suspects and their great grandchildren and every generation between, have no effect on the solvency of the program the money was stolen from.

If there is/was no separate fund, then anything taken from the budget to pay for something else is, in fact raiding funds which could go to pay back the Social Security/medicare payments. No way it doesn't have an effect, because trillions have gone down the proverbial rathole to subsidize poverty, supporting some with services that those footing the bill for decades have only intermittently been able to secure for themselves out of what is left when the government is done sucking the life out of a paycheck.

Look at your social security card. Does it say "For social security and tax purposes only--not for identification" on it? Mine does. I understand the newer ones don't say that.

But the older ones do, and I must ask: Why differentiate between Social Security and tax purposes if the two are just the same?

The answer, of course is that they are not. The government in the 1960s would not have bothered to differentiate if Social Security was 'just another tax' to be spent however it pleased, and it wasn't until someone in Congress came up with the whole IOU angle to raid the funds to spend more money than would have been available without running a deficit that the cards got changed, and the lines blurred.

According to the HHS' figures over 487 billion go to Medicaid and CHIP services.
Another 460 billion, to interest on the National Debt, for perspective, from the Treasury Dept.

That isn't Social Security.

The SSA is a whole different Agency. To be sure, the budget for the SSA approaches 1 trillion dollars, but again, people paid into it, continue to do so, whether young and just starting work, or whether they've been working for decades. Congress raided it to buy votes, and hasn't paid 'the fund' back. Increasingly, seniors are continuing to work, and ironically, paying into the fund even as they collect benefits.

As for just another tax, please explain why social security earnings (for the purpose of levying the tax) have a cap, when there is no cap on taxable earnings for income taxes. You could make $300K, and be taxed on most of that for income tax purposes, but only pay Social Security tax on a fraction of that (approaching half, now). Granted, that cap is a moving target, and goes up every year, but why have a cap at all if it is just another tax?

If you die, like my wife did before collecting any benefits, your benefits will be limited to the paltry "death benefit" Social Security pays out.  (Not enough to pay for a decent container for your loved one's ashes, much less a funeral or coffin.) Nothing else is guaranteed.

Although Medicaid and Medicare are lumped together pretty often in budget numbers, kindly keep in mind that Medicare Part B is not free, and that if one really wants good coverage you find an Advantage plan, Parts C and D, or similar coverage on your own. While the cost may be reduced compared to full on health insurance, you have been picking up the tab all along.
That budget doesn't include Indian Health (feather not dot), which thankfully picked up all but a very small fraction of the hospital bills associated with my wife's passing.
But Indian Health is a treaty obligation, not an "entitlement".  Six million acres of shortgrass prairie and prime farmland 'bought' that. The tribe got screwed out of another four million acres later.

My point, though, is that administrative agencies for Social Security and other "entitlements" are separate. The one group is administered by HHS, the other by the SSA. Given the inertia of Federal Agencies, it is apparent that the two are not the same, nor were intended to be, otherwise, one (SSA) would have been absorbed by another agency, or absorbed the functions of the other entitlements.
The key problem is that those on Capitol Hill have been playing fast and loose with our money for decades, neither exercising fiscal restraint, nor abstaining from purchasing votes with the money they spend. This leads to inefficiency, waste, fraud, and outright theft. Had that restraint been employed where there were no obligations to provide funding, be it research grants, funding universities with huge endowments, waste in government contracts (especially DOD, but others as well) and the half a trillion every year shelled out to the 'poor' who neither work for that money and benefits, nor pay into those programs, and include the illegal aliens being imported into America in record numbers.

According to https://balancingeverything.com/welfare-statistics/

55% of non-citizen households in the USA used one or more welfare programs in 2018.

In comparison, only 32% of native households participated in welfare programs in the same year. Also, the immigrants on welfare statistics point to significantly higher use of food assistance programs among non-citizen households. Namely, 39% of these households needed food assistance compared to 19% of native households. Immigrant households that have lived in the USA for more than ten years participate more (50%) in welfare programs. By contrast, about 44% of those who moved to the country within the last ten years receive governmental assistance.

I'd say that makes a dent. The only Social Security non-citizens qualify for is SSI.

From the cited source,
The largest share of SSI funds in August 2022 went to the visually impaired and disabled.

Out of $4,982,125 paid in SSI in August 2022, 88.6% went to the visually impaired and disabled eligibility category. Welfare statistics show that people from this category received a total of $4,414,744 against $567,381 that went to the aged. In the United States, most people who receive public assistance are aged 18–64. This age group got a total of $2,997,752. Americans aged 65 or older received $1,194,039 in SSI funds, while the remaining $790,333 went to those under 18.

It did not differentiate between citizen and alien.

There are lots of places to bring the budget in line without reducing Social Security benefits, and one would be to deny them to non citizens, another, to raise the earnings cap on the tax.

But there are lots of sacred cows in the Federal budget that could be led to market before cutting Social Security to those who have their qualifying number of work years paid in.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2023, 07:05:41 pm »
@sneakypete

Again...
I am disabled.
I am living off social security.

I stand with these fellows.

Ask why.

I haven’t taken a firm position on any proposals when it comes to these programs as reform is coming whether some like it or not and I want to see the pros and cons of all

I’m just simply pointing out the facts when it comes to both programs. No, illegals are not the reason for both program’s insolvency and they are not programs were money was taken out of people’s pay to be given back when they retire

Those two myths have to be dispelled before any reforms are proposed

Barry Goldwater

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2023, 07:17:00 pm »
@Smokin Joe

This is why the Dems always raise the specter of slashing SS and Medicare every time there's a discussion of the federal debt limit (which we no longer have as a backstop).

There is never a fear of cutting SNAP and other welfare payments.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2023, 07:20:13 pm »
Interesting. On the one hand, posters assert there is no separate Social Security fund. THat the "lockbox" the Congress stuffed full of IOUs to fund other social programs (welfare, food stamps, subsidized housing) never existed and that those funds were always part of the general fund. Just another tax.

On the other hand, it is asserted that the billions being spent on providing the services the alleged 'lockbox' was raided for, now to millions of illegal aliens, as well as the usual suspects and their great grandchildren and every generation between, have no effect on the solvency of the program the money was stolen from.

If there is/was no separate fund, then anything taken from the budget to pay for something else is, in fact raiding funds which could go to pay back the Social Security/medicare payments. No way it doesn't have an effect, because trillions have gone down the proverbial rathole to subsidize poverty, supporting some with services that those footing the bill for decades have only intermittently been able to secure for themselves out of what is left when the government is done sucking the life out of a paycheck.

Look at your social security card. Does it say "For social security and tax purposes only--not for identification" on it? Mine does. I understand the newer ones don't say that.

But the older ones do, and I must ask: Why differentiate between Social Security and tax purposes if the two are just the same?

The answer, of course is that they are not. The government in the 1960s would not have bothered to differentiate if Social Security was 'just another tax' to be spent however it pleased, and it wasn't until someone in Congress came up with the whole IOU angle to raid the funds to spend more money than would have been available without running a deficit that the cards got changed, and the lines blurred.

According to the HHS' figures over 487 billion go to Medicaid and CHIP services.
Another 460 billion, to interest on the National Debt, for perspective, from the Treasury Dept.

That isn't Social Security.

The SSA is a whole different Agency. To be sure, the budget for the SSA approaches 1 trillion dollars, but again, people paid into it, continue to do so, whether young and just starting work, or whether they've been working for decades. Congress raided it to buy votes, and hasn't paid 'the fund' back. Increasingly, seniors are continuing to work, and ironically, paying into the fund even as they collect benefits.

As for just another tax, please explain why social security earnings (for the purpose of levying the tax) have a cap, when there is no cap on taxable earnings for income taxes. You could make $300K, and be taxed on most of that for income tax purposes, but only pay Social Security tax on a fraction of that (approaching half, now). Granted, that cap is a moving target, and goes up every year, but why have a cap at all if it is just another tax?

If you die, like my wife did before collecting any benefits, your benefits will be limited to the paltry "death benefit" Social Security pays out.  (Not enough to pay for a decent container for your loved one's ashes, much less a funeral or coffin.) Nothing else is guaranteed.

Although Medicaid and Medicare are lumped together pretty often in budget numbers, kindly keep in mind that Medicare Part B is not free, and that if one really wants good coverage you find an Advantage plan, Parts C and D, or similar coverage on your own. While the cost may be reduced compared to full on health insurance, you have been picking up the tab all along.
That budget doesn't include Indian Health (feather not dot), which thankfully picked up all but a very small fraction of the hospital bills associated with my wife's passing.
But Indian Health is a treaty obligation, not an "entitlement".  Six million acres of shortgrass prairie and prime farmland 'bought' that. The tribe got screwed out of another four million acres later.

My point, though, is that administrative agencies for Social Security and other "entitlements" are separate. The one group is administered by HHS, the other by the SSA. Given the inertia of Federal Agencies, it is apparent that the two are not the same, nor were intended to be, otherwise, one (SSA) would have been absorbed by another agency, or absorbed the functions of the other entitlements.
The key problem is that those on Capitol Hill have been playing fast and loose with our money for decades, neither exercising fiscal restraint, nor abstaining from purchasing votes with the money they spend. This leads to inefficiency, waste, fraud, and outright theft. Had that restraint been employed where there were no obligations to provide funding, be it research grants, funding universities with huge endowments, waste in government contracts (especially DOD, but others as well) and the half a trillion every year shelled out to the 'poor' who neither work for that money and benefits, nor pay into those programs, and include the illegal aliens being imported into America in record numbers.

According to https://balancingeverything.com/welfare-statistics/

I'd say that makes a dent. The only Social Security non-citizens qualify for is SSI.

From the cited source,
It did not differentiate between citizen and alien.

There are lots of places to bring the budget in line without reducing Social Security benefits, and one would be to deny them to non citizens, another, to raise the earnings cap on the tax.

But there are lots of sacred cows in the Federal budget that could be led to market before cutting Social Security to those who have their qualifying number of work years paid in.

You never paid into Social Security.  If you worked, you were subjected to an additional, regressive, income tax, the funds from which were transferred to the general fisc.  The Social Security Administration is then funded therefrom.

READ

THE

bleep

LAW

Jesus, people, you are acting like a bunch of bleep liberals on this one.  Why?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2023, 07:27:32 pm »
You never paid into Social Security.  If you worked, you were subjected to an additional, regressive, income tax, the funds from which were transferred to the general fisc.  The Social Security Administration is then funded therefrom.

READ

THE

bleep

LAW

Not exactly related to your post, but why aren't other budget items like Welfare subjected to the same threats as SS?  Could it be SS recipients are a large voting bloc being manipulated for Dem votes?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2023, 07:28:14 pm »

READ

THE

bleep

LAW

Kindly explain why Social Security/Medicare earnings are capped for taxation purposes, then.

If it was "just another tax" there would be no cap.
We have had far too many Democrat administrations to leave that cash cow standing.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/35act.html#PREAMBLE
The Social Security Act (Act of August 14, 1935) [H. R. 7260]

An act to provide for the general welfare by establishing a system of Federal old-age benefits, and by enabling the several States to make more adequate provision for aged persons, blind persons, dependent and crippled children, maternal and child welfare, public health, and the administration of their unemployment compensation laws; to establish a Social Security Board; to raise revenue; and for other purposes.

and ...

TITLE II-FEDERAL OLD-AGE BENEFITS OLD-AGE RESERVE ACCOUNT

Section 201. (a) There is hereby created an account in the Treasury of the United States to be known as the Old-Age Reserve Account hereinafter in this title called the Account. There is hereby authorized to be appropriated to the Account for each fiscal year, beginning with the fiscal year ending June 30, 1937, an amount sufficient as an annual premium to provide for the payments required under this title, such amount to be determined on a reserve basis in accordance with accepted actuarial principles, and based upon such tables of mortality as the Secretary of the Treasury shall from time to time adopt, and upon an interest rate of 3 per centum per annum compounded annually. The Secretary of the Treasury shall submit annually to the Bureau of the Budget an estimate of the appropriations to be made to the Account.
(b) It shall be the duty of the Secretary of the Treasury to invest such portion of the amounts credited to the Account as is not, in his judgment, required to meet current withdrawals. Such investment may be made only in interest-bearing obligations of the United States or in obligations guaranteed as to both principal and interest by the United States. For such purpose such obligations may be acquired
(1) on original issue at par, or
(2) by purchase of outstanding obligations at the market price. The purposes for which obligations of the United States may be issued under the Second Liberty Bond Act, as amended, are hereby extended to authorize the issuance at par of special obligations exclusively to the Account. Such special obligations shall bear interest at the rate of 3 per centum per annum. Obligations other than such special obligations may be acquired for the Account only on such terms as to provide an investment yield of not less than 3 per centum per annum.
(c) Any obligations acquired by the Account (except special obligations issued exclusively to the Account) may be sold at the market price, and such special obligations may be redeemed at par plus accrued interest.
(d) The interest on, and the proceeds from the sale or redemption of, any obligations held in the Account shall be credited to and form a part of the Account.
(e) All amounts credited to the Account shall be available for making payments required under this title.
(f) The Secretary of the Treasury shall include in his annual report the actuarial status of the Account.

OLD-AGE BENEFIT PAYMENTS

SEC. 202. (a) Every qualified individual (as defined in section 210) shall be entitled to receive, with respect to the period beginning on the date he attains the age of sixty-five, or on January 1, 1942, whichever is the later, and ending on the date of his death, an old-age benefit (payable as nearly as practicable in equal monthly installments) as follows:
(1) If the total wages (as defined in section 210) determined by the Board to have been paid to him, with respect to employment (as defined in section 210) after December 31, 1936, and before he attained the age of sixty- five, were not more than $3,000, the old-age benefit shall be at a monthly rate of one-half of 1 per centum of such total wages;
(2) If such total wages were more than $3,000, the old-age benefit shall be at a monthly rate equal to the sum of the following:
(A) One-half of 1 per centum of $3,000; plus
(B) One-twelfth of 1 per centum of the amount by which such total wages exceeded $3,000 and did not exceed $45,000; plus
(C) One-twenty-fourth of 1 per centum of the amount by which such total wages exceeded $45,000.
(b) In no case shall the monthly rate computed under subsection (a) exceed $85.
(c) If the Board finds at any time that more or less than the correct amount has theretofore been paid to any individual under this section, then, under regulations made by the Board, proper adjustments shall be made in connection with subsequent payments under this section to the same individual.
(d) Whenever the Board finds that any qualified individual has received wages with respect to regular employment after he attained the age of sixty-five, the old-age benefit payable to such individual shall be reduced, for each calendar month in any part of which such regular employment occurred, by an amount equal to one month s benefit. Such reduction shall be made, under regulations prescribed by the Board, by deductions from one or more payments of old-age benefit to such individual.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 07:32:07 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2023, 07:30:33 pm »

READ

THE

bleep

LAW

We have a lawyer or a SS operative or an IRS agent among us in our forum.  :whistle:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2023, 07:40:02 pm »
Kindly explain why Social Security/Medicare earnings are capped for taxation purposes, then.

If it was "just another tax" there would be no cap.
We have had far too many Democrat administrations to leave that cash cow standing.

https://www.ssa.gov/history/35act.html#PREAMBLE
and ...

Bullshit.  READ.  THE.  F-UCKING.  LAW.

It is a tax, pure and simple.  Putting a cap on the amount of income subject to the tax does not change the essential characteristic of the imposition as a tax.

READ.  THE.  F-UCKING.  LAW.

And you didn't pay into anything because YOU.  DON'T.  OWN.  ANY.  PROPERTY.  RIGHT.  IN.  SOCIAL. SECURITY.  WELFARE.  BENEFITS.

You can say you paid into a private retirement plan because you have a vested property right, a right that can be levied on, by the way, or subjected to a divorce decree.

SOCIAL SECURITY IS NOT SUBJECT TO LEVY OR ASSIGNMENT BECAUSE YOU DON'T OWN ANYTHING THAT COULD BE LEVIED UPON OR ASSIGNED.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2023, 07:43:39 pm »
Here's the law:

IRC sec. 3101:

(a) Old-age, survivors, and disability insurance

In addition to other taxes, there is hereby imposed on the income of every individual a tax equal to 6.2 percent of the wages (as defined in section 3121(a)) received by the individual with respect to employment (as defined in section 3121(b)).

GOT IT?

A tax is imposed on the income of each individual.  A tax that is imposed on income is also known as an income tax.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2023, 07:44:32 pm »

It is a tax, pure and simple.  Putting a cap on the amount of income subject to the tax does not change the essential characteristic of the imposition as a tax.

And you didn't pay into anything because YOU.  DON'T.  OWN.  ANY.  PROPERTY.  RIGHT.  IN.  SOCIAL. SECURITY.  WELFARE.  BENEFITS.

You can say you paid into a private retirement plan because you have a vested property right, a right that can be levied on, by the way, or subjected to a divorce decree.

SOCIAL SECURITY IS NOT SUBJECT TO LEVY OR ASSIGNMENT BECAUSE YOU DON'T OWN ANYTHING THAT COULD BE LEVIED UPON OR ASSIGNED.

I did. I even provided it.

Every qualified individual (as defined in section 210) shall be entitled to receive, with respect to the period beginning on the date he attains the age of sixty-five, or on January 1, 1942, whichever is the later, and ending on the date of his death, an old-age benefit (payable as nearly as practicable in equal monthly installments) as follows:

:shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2023, 07:51:10 pm »
There is a trust fund created, but it is an accounting mechanism and does not give any current or future recipient of social security welfare benefits any vested interest in that fund, and the trust fund itself is funded out of the general treasury.

42 USC sec. 401:

There is hereby created on the books of the Treasury of the United States a trust fund to be known as the “Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund”. The Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund shall consist of the securities held by the Secretary of the Treasury for the Old-Age Reserve Account and the amount standing to the credit of the Old-Age Reserve Account on the books of the Treasury on January 1, 1940, which securities and amount the Secretary of the Treasury is authorized and directed to transfer to the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund, and, in addition, such gifts and bequests as may be made as provided in subsection (i)(1), and such amounts as may be appropriated to, or deposited in, the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund as hereinafter provided. There is hereby appropriated to the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1941, and for each fiscal year thereafter, out of any moneys in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, amounts equivalent to 100 per centum of—

YOU HAVE NO OWNERSHIP INTEREST, VESTED OR OTHERWISE, IN THE GENERAL TREASURY FUNDS THAT ARE SET ASIDE ON THE US GOVERNMENT'S BOOKS TO PAY SOCIAL SECURITY WELFARE BENEFITS.

You can search the relevant provisions of the law - we are supposed to be a nation of laws, aren't we?  That's the bullshit I keep hearing around here, at any rate - and you will not find one provision that grants you a property interest in those funds.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2023, 07:54:45 pm »
I did. I even provided it.

:shrug:

Nope, you just cited to the statute that permits the federal government to make social welfare payments to you - government charity.  And that statute could be changed tomorrow, and your entitlement would disappear into thin air.

YOU HAVE NO VESTED INTEREST THAT CANNOT BE TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU BY A SIMPLE CONGRESSIONAL ENACTMENT.

The Supreme Court has already ruled on the blatantly obvious, and has - unexpectedly to those who insist on following the law as written - that there is no property right in social security benefits.  Flemming v. Nestor:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemming_v._Nestor
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 07:55:33 pm by Kamaji »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2023, 07:54:54 pm »

Is it truly necessary to curse in big bold letters?  Get a grip!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2023, 07:56:26 pm »
"Kindly explain why Social Security/Medicare earnings are capped for taxation purposes, then."

@Smokin Joe because it provides the illusion that it is something that it isn't. What you "get back" is also capped. A naked pyramid scheme that would put any other entity in prison is not a defendable position. There is no "investment" providing returns that are paid out. The returns are set by law, not economic outcomes.

It only works because younger people in a normally expanding base transfer their tax dollars to the smaller older generations that are collecting it higher up the pyramid.

Have young people stop paying SS and see how long the program can continue for the ones collecting now... If it were in some lockbox or investment those collecting SS would have already paid the cost of what they are collecting through their life of paying into it. That's not the case.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2023, 07:57:22 pm »
Is it truly necessary to curse in big bold letters?  Get a grip!

At a certain point, yes, it is.  When supposed conservatives start acting like starry-eyed liberals, and pouting about how - in contradistinction to every other government welfare benefit - that there is something special about social security that makes it "YOUR" money.

It isn't your money, it is nothing more than government-funded charity, that can be yanked at any time by a Congressional act that repeals it.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2023, 07:57:43 pm »
"Kindly explain why Social Security/Medicare earnings are capped for taxation purposes, then."

@Smokin Joe because it provides the illusion that it is something that it isn't. What you "get back" is also capped. A naked pyramid scheme that would put any other entity in prison is not a defendable position. There is no "investment" providing returns that are paid out. The returns are set by law, not economic outcomes.

It only works because younger people in a normally expanding base transfer their tax dollars to the smaller older generations that are collecting it higher up the pyramid.

Have young people stop paying SS and see how long the program can continue for the ones collecting now... If it were in some lockbox or investment those collecting SS would have already paid the cost of what they are collecting through their life of paying into it. That's not the case.

:thumbsup:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2023, 07:59:28 pm »
It's truly fascinating how a lie first told by FDR - the consummate liberal/progressive - about a particular government charity benefit - continues to be swallowed, whole cloth, by those who claim to be oh-so conservative.