Author Topic: Texas considers 2 plans to cut your property taxes. Which one will save you the most?  (Read 321 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Fort Worth Star-Telegram By Eleanor Dearman 5/31/2023

Texas top Republican lawmakers are sparing over cutting property taxes. Gov. Greg Abbott, Lt. Gov. Patrick and House Speaker Dade Phelan all agree the reductions are needed, especially given Texas’ nearly $33 billion budget surplus, but Patrick and Phelan for months have had different ideas on the best way to deliver.

The House and Senate didn’t come to an agreement by the end of the day Monday when both chambers adjourned their regular sessions, but the lawmakers were warned to stay close: A special session was coming.

Just hours later, Abbott called what is expected to be the first of several special sessions during which lawmakers take up policy areas of the governor’s choosing. It began immediately, and by the end of Tuesday, both chambers had acted fast and passed their tax cut proposals.

The House went a step further when it adjourned without taking up the Senate’s proposal and with their bill now in the upper chamber.

So what’s proposed?

What is Gov. Abbott asking for?

Over the past several months, Patrick has called for increasing the homestead exemption, while Phelan has favored lowering the state’s appraisal cap for all properties. Abbott has called for property tax cut, but for the most part, hadn’t weighed in publicly on which plan he preferred.

But Abbott’s preference for the delivery of property tax cuts came into focus on Monday night when he called lawmakers back to Austin to make tax cuts and told them specifically how he wants the savings done.

Lawmakers should pass “legislation to cut property-tax rates solely by reducing the school district maximum compressed tax,” he said in his special session proclamation. That means directing state dollars to school districts to lower their property tax rates, which are set locally.

More: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article275946821.html

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Texas considers 2 plans to cut your property taxes. Which one will save you the most?

It depends on what you want. If you want the bulk of the "savings" to wind up in the pockets of big corporate donors, the House plan is for you. If you want rank and file Texans to get the benefits hold out for the Senate version.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Compression: What is it? It's simply reducing the school tax rate you personally pay by 5 to 20 cents (whatever it is in a particular session) and having the state pay the school district instead of you.

Since the state gets all of its money from us, I'll re-word that last part: "having you pay the school district instead of you."

Maybe it's collected differently, but the source is still the people.

Here's a novel concept: since the people will always have to pay for what the government spends, if the aim is to give the people tax relief, how about less spending instead of record spending?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The cap limit unequally distributes relief and, if cap limit isn't inflation-adjusted, it will eventually need to be raised or lead to a revenue shortfall.

Reducing the rate offers equal benefit to everyone as well as better keeping up with inflation.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

Compression: What is it? It's simply reducing the school tax rate you personally pay by 5 to 20 cents (whatever it is in a particular session) and having the state pay the school district instead of you.

Since the state gets all of its money from us, I'll re-word that last part: "having you pay the school district instead of you."

Maybe it's collected differently, but the source is still the people.

Here's a novel concept: since the people will always have to pay for what the government spends, if the aim is to give the people tax relief, how about less spending instead of record spending?

Good point!  It's surprising, and rather dispiriting, how many people cannot seem to grasp that simple fact.