Author Topic: Florida businesses plan to strike Thursday to protest DeSantis immigration law  (Read 769 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Oh my whatever will we do.  Not exactly a Day without a Mexican.

Tallahassee  (Biased) Democrat

Ana Goñi-Lessan,
Wed, May 31, 2023 at 1:40 PM EDT

(A couple of) Businesses across the state are closing Thursday in solidarity with undocumented Latino workers who say they are being targeted by Gov. Ron DeSantis' new immigration law.

News of the strike spread on social media on Tuesday, with California Instagrammer @flowersinspanish calling for businesses and workers to participate nationwide.

"In 2 days, we stand in solidarity against racism," Flor Martinez wrote in an Instagram post. "It's time for immigration reform, we've waited long enough. It's time to take action for everything that our communities deserve."

In Tallahassee, Chile & Chili's Taqueria announced on Instagram they would close on Thursday in protest of the immigration law, which imposes tough penalties and new restrictions on undocumented immigrants in Florida.

"We apologize to our clients as we join our Latino brothers," the post reads.

The new immigration law has been condemned by critics as cruel and potentially leading to law enforcement profiling. It’s considered among the toughest steps taken by any state to deter illegal aliens from arriving.

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-businesses-plan-strike-thursday-174033184.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

Cry me a freakin' river. Perhaps in the Miami-Dade area the protests will take place, but around here ... just not going to happen!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Kamaji

Great, businesses that support illegal aliens are closing up, leaving an opportunity for real American businesses that support legal Americans, citizens and residents, to open up and do the right thing.

Don't see anything wrong with that picture.

Online libertybele

Great, businesses that support illegal aliens are closing up, leaving an opportunity for real American businesses that support legal Americans, citizens and residents, to open up and do the right thing.

Don't see anything wrong with that picture.

What a great opportunity for ICE -- See if their businesses are indeed licensed; round 'em up, deport them and drop them back over the border.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
There go my vacay plans for Florida.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

As an aside, I wonder if there is a battle between Cubano/Puerto Rican  and Mexican/Points south...

Offline DefiantMassRINO

It's not DeSantis' new law.

Legal Residency Employer Verfiication has been Federal law since the 1986/1987 Immigration Reform Law ... which gave amnesty to 11 million illegal immigrants.

The Federal Government has chosen to be lax in enforcement and auditing.

For every professional job I have held, I had to provide information to my employer to fulfill the I-9 requirement for new hires.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central

Those that strike, should lose a day's pay, be fired, and then deported.  Those that illegally employ them should be fined, jailed, and then deported to Antarctica where they can hire all the illegal immigrants they want.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

Legal Residency Employer Verfiication has been Federal law since the 1986/1987 Immigration Reform Law ... which gave amnesty to 11 million illegal immigrants.

For every professional job I have held, I had to provide information to my employer to fulfill the I-9 requirement for new hires.

Those that strike, should lose a day's pay, be fired, and then deported.  Those that illegally employ them should be fined, jailed, and then deported to Antarctica where they can hire all the illegal immigrants they want.

:thumbsup:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Exactly. The latest version of Form I-9 can be had at this link...https://www.uscis.gov/i-9

I have had to prove I'm a citizen for decades.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis