Author Topic: The Nanny State Stains a Deck  (Read 285 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Nanny State Stains a Deck
« on: May 29, 2023, 04:18:50 pm »
May 29, 2023
The Nanny State Stains a Deck
By John F. Di Leo

When candidates run for public office — local, state, or federal — they campaign on some careful blend of their résumés, their personalities, and their political issues.

Thus it has always been, and thus it will always be, in a republic.  "Vote for me because I have the experience to do it well," or "Vote for me because I'm so much like you, I'll represent your interests," or "Vote for me because we agree on these twenty or thirty specific issues."

But there is something going on that we don't usually expect, and while it's been in process for a century now, it's become blatant only for the past decade or so, and that's the growth of a regulatory state that virtually no candidate ever really campaigns on: the incredibly intrusive growth of the picky, micromanaging regulatory state.

I'll begin with a personal example.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2023/05/the_nanny_state_stains_a_deck.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The Nanny State Stains a Deck
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 05:06:14 pm »
The writer missed completely that there is now an entire industry (several industries, actually) built around compliance with the deluge of regulations, amendments, updates, and additions. Larger companies bite the bullet (which is known in California to cause cancer (like virtually everything) and contain lead...)  and hire entire squadrons of HSE people to keep up with the regs (as amended this week) and remain in compliance, while small companies do their best (or just say "eff it", and don't bother, taking their chances).

But even more insidious is the fact that the other side of that industry (government) is populated with people whose overweening mission in life is to write more regulations. They seem to actively seek the holy grail of martinets: that which is currently unregulated.

If they find it, their goal will be to write a whole manual or rules, complete with more rules  demanding that their regulations be carried out to the letter because, well, that's their job. The regulations don't have to make sense, as a practical matter, and often seem to be based solely on theory and not actual experience with the matter, substances, or operation at hand.

The results can readily be subpar, because...those are the rules, and bugger the expense, they work for government which has an endless supply of minions and money, plucked from the pockets of the general population (well, those who are trying to work, anyway, but one way or another are running afoul of those bloody regulations).

Joseph Heller would howl over the regulatory morass that requires one thing, while on the other hand, forbidding the materials or methodologies to get it done. The regulators really don't care. They get paid either way.

But the bottom line remains the same. More expense, less efficiency, subpar results. Not all things yield the latter, but at some point the law of diminishing returns would apply, but for the fact that those making the rules seldom suffer the results.

I handled the low flow shower head problem with a 3/8" drill bit. I'm a furry fellow, and just getting wet enough to wash with soap was taking too much of my day, and likely using more water to get lathered up and rinse off than the old shower head did. My time is worth more than the cost of water, which is not scarce here, and the less time it takes to wash away the soap residue, the less slippery the shower is, and the less likely I am to suffer a slip and fall injury.

But other products, ones which worked and worked well, have all but disappeared, from degreasers to cleaners, paint that stayed on, lawnmowers that could tackle the Amazon Jungle and could get any neglected back yard cleared, automobiles which were relatively simple, ran well, and could be serviced by their owners, from ordinary maintenance to major repairs with a minimum of special tools and some basic mechanical know-how.

Yes, there are some 'hacks' to get around some of those new gadgets, but with time, everything has become so interlaced that it is difficult to work around one subsystem without affecting all of them.

I drive a small fleet of those "clunkers", now well into their third or fourth decade of service, and wonder just how much, in terms of energy use and emissions the planet has been spared by not replacing them every three to five years, which would require the construction of new ones, and the destruction of the old ones vs the 'environmental expense' of a few extra gallons of fuel and some (often remanufactured) parts.

But then, I herald from a day and age when virtually everything was rebuildable,when every grocery store of any size had a vacuum tube tester and drawers full of spares, so folks could fix their own televisions and radios...when Americans could and did build their own bulldozer in the garage without having to comply with a plethora of regulations.

I'd be happy to vote for a candidate who would decrease the number of regulatory agencies and regulations.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 05:14:10 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 05:11:54 pm »
This is like how laundry detergent lost a lot of its effectiveness after the government banned the phosphates.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 05:15:15 pm »
This is like how laundry detergent lost a lot of its effectiveness after the government banned the phosphates.
Degreasers (1-1-1 trichloroethylene was great), virtually banned in the CFC purge...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 05:39:47 pm »
Another big problem beyond regulations is planned obsolescence. Instead of built to last it is built to break.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley