Author Topic: Texas Legislature Fails to Pass Most of Gov. Greg Abbott’s Priorities  (Read 572 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by  Brandon Waltens May 28, 2023

Border security, bail reform, school choice, and property tax relief have failed to reach the finish line.

The regular legislative session is set to end today, but lawmakers should be prepared to come back for overtime.
At the beginning of the session, Gov. Greg Abbott announced seven priority items. When the session ends on Monday, only three of those priorities will reach his desk.
While the Legislature passed legislation addressing COVID mandates, the fentanyl crisis, and school safety, other priorities failed to reach the finish line, including:

•   Border security

•   Bail reform

•   School choice

•   Property tax relief

Texas’ part-time Legislature is known for meeting relatively infrequently, especially when compared to smaller states. While many state legislatures meet year-round or hold legislative sessions annually, the Texas Legislature holds its sessions every two years for 140 days. During that time, thousands of bills, of varying priority to citizens and statewide officials, are filed. The only business the Legislature is constitutionally obligated to pass, however, is a balanced biennial budget.

But what if the session ends and there is still business the governor wants to see completed? In that case, the governor is allowed to call a special session.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/texas-legislature-fails-to-pass-most-of-gov-greg-abbotts-priorities/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Frankly, I'm gobsmacked that Border Security hasn't been addressed. **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Frankly, I'm gobsmacked that Border Security hasn't been addressed. **nononono*

@Smokin Joe

Don't feel lonesome. No matter how hard I try,I just can't imagine that being ignored in Texas.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sneakypete commented:
"No matter how hard I try,I just can't imagine that being ignored in Texas."

Texas is gettin' closer and closer to "tippin' towards the purple side" of politics.

First purple.
Then... pure blue.

This is reaching a point where it will soon become irreversible (at least so long as Texas remains a part of "the union")...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sneakypete commented:

Texas is gettin' closer and closer to "tippin' towards the purple side" of politics.

First purple.
Then... pure blue.

This is reaching a point where it will soon become irreversible (at least so long as Texas remains a part of "the union")...

@Fishrrman

Can you say "Leftist refugees from Ca!"?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline berdie

Sneakypete commented:

First purple.
Then... pure blue.

Hmmm...I don't know about that. I'll be surprised if Abbott doesn't call for a special session to get these things legislated. Especially since there will be a Senate roast of the AG.

Phelan needs to go away and let everyone else do their jobs. I didn't think we could get anyone worse than Strauss...but...