Author Topic: Navy SEAL training plagued by pervasive problems, investigation shows  (Read 172 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy SEAL training plagued by pervasive problems, investigation shows
By Lolita C. Baldor, The Associated Press
 Thursday, May 25

The training program for Navy SEALs is plagued by widespread failures in medical care, poor oversight and the use of performance-enhancing drugs, which have increased the risk of injury and death to those seeking to become elite commandos, according to an investigation triggered by the death of a sailor last year.

Medical oversight and care were “poorly organized, poorly integrated and poorly led and put candidates at significant risk,” the nearly 200-page report compiled by the Naval Education and Training Command concluded.

The highly critical report said flaws in the medical program “likely had the most direct impact on the health and well being” of the SEAL candidates and “specifically” on Kyle Mullen, the sailor who died. It said if the shortcomings had been addressed, his death might have been preventable.

The investigation also dug deep into the longstanding problem of sailors using steroids and similar banned drugs as they try to pass the SEAL qualification course. The report recommends far more robust testing for the drugs — a move the Navy and the military more broadly have been slow to make — and better education for service members in order to prevent their use.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/05/25/navy-seal-training-plagued-by-pervasive-problems-investigation-shows/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The real problem is they AREN'T WOKE ENOUGH!!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Navy SEAL training plagued by pervasive problems, investigation shows
By Lolita C. Baldor, The Associated Press
 Thursday, May 25

The training program for Navy SEALs is plagued by widespread failures in medical care, poor oversight and the use of performance-enhancing drugs,

@rangerrebew

While I KNOW there is NO legitimate excuse for any of the above,ESPECIALLY the performance-enhancing drugs that can cause life-long injuries or even death,the cause of ALL of it is piss-poor leadership from the senior officers AND the senior enlisted,who  allow this  to happen because they want to take credit for "creating more SEALS" in a time when SEALS are the only  "stars" the Navy has.

The end result will ALWAYS be that trainees who could have been turned into 1st class special warfare combatants end up being injured for life and out of the Navy on medical disability,and lowered moral amongst those who are already on Teams and see inferior "products" being added to their line-up.

Yeah,"party hardy,dood!" in your off-duty hours once you get the Trident,but you had damn well better show up for "work" ready to do the job and support your teammates.

BTW,SF had a LOT of wannabe "Green Berets" during the 70's,but now it seems like it's the SEALS who are their focus. I know of a family that THINKS the man that married into their family is a SEAL because he works for the nearest SEAL attachment and is retired from the Navy.

I have never heard him brag about being a former SEAL,or even hint that he was one,but he does have Navy awards framed and hanging on the wall,and the "most important" award letter I can  see that he received MIGHT be the equivalent of a "Good Conduct Medal" in the army. I suppose the Navy  has a version of a Good Conduct Medal too,but I have no idea what it is called.

Seems to be a very bright and hard-working guy,but IF he is aware of the misunderstanding,I really  think he needs to clear this up to prevent possible future embarrassments and trouble.

FACT! There is NOTHING shameful or wrong about being part of a support detachment. NO "Special Operations Attachment" in any military in the world can survive,never mind thrive,without an EXCELLENT support detachment,and from what I have  seen,the Commanding Officers of none of these groups are the least bit shy about kicking any member under their command down the road if they don't do the best job they CAN do any time they are called on to do it.

There can be no doubt there are slackers all over the conventional military branches,but good luck finding them in any of the Special Operations units. You either have a positive attitude and are willing to do whatever needs to be done to accomplish your job/mission,or you take your ass down the road.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The real problem is they AREN'T WOKE ENOUGH!!

@rangerrebew

Hard to be woke when you are full of painkillers.

BTW,when something like this happens often in ANY command,it is the fault of the unit Commander and his aides.

Yeah,the NCO's are always the "middle men" in the deal,but rest assured the NCO's WILL report any habitual slacker,drunk,druggie,etc,etc,etc,to his commanding officer,who is then obligated to take care of the problem,and if HE can't take care of the problem,he runs it up to a higher command.

This ain't "tiddlywinks" stuff. It is "life and death" stuff.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 04:52:03 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!