Author Topic: From mangroves to fjords, coastal ecosystems can take up or emit greenhouse gases. But globally, the  (Read 122 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
MAY 27, 2023

Editors' notes
From mangroves to fjords, coastal ecosystems can take up or emit greenhouse gases. But globally, they're a vital sink
by Judith Rosentreter and Bradley Eyre, The Conversation

Credit: Shutterstock
Coastal ecosystems can absorb or emit the three main greenhouse gases: carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide.

We explored how coasts in ten regions of the world differ in greenhouse gas uptake and emissions. Our research published today in Nature Climate Change finds that, globally, our coastal ecosystems are a net greenhouse gas sink, but smaller emissions of potent methane and nitrous oxide gases reduce some of the carbon dioxide uptake.

We found coasts in Europe and Russia are net emitters, while coasts in Southeast Asia and North America have a large uptake of these gases.

Like upland forests and rainforests, ecosystems like coastal wetlands can take up atmospheric CO₂ and turn it into new leaves, roots and other organic matter. When some of this carbon is stored long-term in deep sediments, it can help battle rising CO₂ levels in our atmosphere.

https://phys.org/news/2023-05-mangroves-fjords-coastal-ecosystems-emit.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson