Author Topic: On Border Detention, Biden Refuses to Play by Biden’s Rules  (Read 123 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
On Border Detention, Biden Refuses to Play by Biden’s Rules
Let alone by congressional mandates, and that's what's driving the migrant surge

By Andrew R. Arthur on May 26, 2023
Much of the most recent debate on immigration and the border has focused on the administration’s failure to fulfill its statutory obligation to detain migrants who have entered the United States illegally over the Southwest border and who have been deemed inadmissible at the ports along that border. Even putting aside Congress’ mandates, a much bigger problem is that when it comes to the detention of illegal migrants, Biden refuses to play by Biden’s own rules — and that’s driving the migrant surge.

“Biden’s Border Fiasco”. Illegal migration at the Southwest border has exploded since Joe Biden became president on January 20, 2021.

In FY 2021, Border Patrol set an all-time record for Southwest border apprehensions, nabbing nearly 1.66 million aliens who had entered illegally even while an additional 389,155 others are reported to have evaded apprehension to make their way safely into the United States (known as “got-aways”).

That “all-time record” for Southwest border apprehensions didn’t stand for long, as in FY 2022, agents caught more than 2.2 million illegal entrants. Don’t fault the agents — they were so overwhelmed with transporting, processing, caring for, and all-too-often releasing migrants that an additional 599,000 got-aways got past them that fiscal year.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Border-Detention-Biden-Refuses-Play-Bidens-Rules
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson