Author Topic: 12.2 billion to “program increases” for hill-favored projects  (Read 119 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

12.2 billion to “program increases” for hill-favored projects
FEATUREDWIB WEAPONS May 25, 2023 Staff Writer 0

John M. Donnelly
CQ-Roll Call
(TNS)

WASHINGTON — Congress directed the Pentagon to spend $12.2 billion in the current fiscal year on nearly 1,000 different “program increases” in the Defense spending bill’s research account alone, projects pushed by lawmakers that the Defense Department did not publicly request, according to a previously unpublicized database.

As spending on the overall defense budget grew in the last several years, the number of these lawmaker-inserted projects has ballooned from 600 in fiscal 2021 to 996 today, a 66 percent hike, according to the database, compiled by Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan group that monitors government spending.

The initiatives, which average $12 million apiece, are each tiny when considered separately, at least in the massive Pentagon budget, which is more than $800 billion. For that reason, the individual projects, like the larger phenomenon of surging congressional additions to the defense research budget, have received virtually no attention in the press.

https://warisboring.com/12-2-billion-to-program-increases-for-hill-favored-projects/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: 12.2 billion to “program increases” for hill-favored projects
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 03:01:11 pm »
This is as it should be.  It provides equity, so valuable in this day and age, to military experts such as AOC, Hank Johnson, and the rest of the "squad." *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson