Author Topic: Still in Mexico: New concerns in the wake of asylum restrictions  (Read 134 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Still in Mexico: New concerns in the wake of asylum restrictions
Danielle Prokop
Thu, May 25, 2023 at 6:58 AM EDT·8 min read
This article was originally published by Source New Mexico.

CIUDAD JUÁREZ - The sun beats down on the houses of Pan De Vida, a shelter for migrants in Rancho Anapra, a barrio of Ciudad Juárez. In between white houses trimmed with blue, kids whizz by on bikes, shouts ringing out over the dust settling across the courtyard. Dogs recline in the shade, tongues lolling.

At the house on the corner, overlooking the yard, is the temporary home of 11 Hondurans, who fled — some just children — towards the United States. After months of travel, thousands of miles, they landed here.

Inside, the walls are painted a light pink, the cabinets and trim a bright seafoam green, the air thick with heat.

Although the restrictions to immediately expel people seeking asylum at the border — nicknamed Title 42 — ended on May 11, uncertainty remains in its wake. Gathered around the teal table, the 11 Hondurans shared their story, one of hope and faith intertwined with pain and fear.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/still-mexico-concerns-wake-asylum-105838598.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson