Author Topic: Man Freed for Murder by Innocence Project and Given $4M 'Becomes Drug Dealer And Kills Man Over $1,2  (Read 129 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Man Freed for Murder by Innocence Project and Given $4M 'Becomes Drug Dealer And Kills Man Over $1,200'
Chris Menahan
InformationLiberation
May. 24, 2023

Shaurn Thomas, a black man who was freed for murder in Philadelphia by the Innocence Project and given $4 million in restitution by the state, allegedly became a drug dealer upon release, killed a man for owing him a $1,200 drug debt and told his accomplice it was his "third" homicide.

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, "Philly man got $4M after his murder case was overturned. He’s now accused of murder over $1,200.":
Shaurn Thomas was a millionaire, but prosecutors say he killed a man over a $1,200 drug debt.

Thomas was paid more than $4 million three years ago after spending 24 years behind bars for a murder conviction that was later overturned.

And yet, a witness said in court Monday, he fatally shot a man on a North Philadelphia street corner earlier this year over the comparatively paltry sum.

"He said it was the principle," Ketra Veasy, accused of being Thomas' getaway driver in the new crime, testified through tears on the witness stand. She said Thomas confessed to the killing as she drove them both back to her house afterward.

https://www.informationliberation.com/?id=63771
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson