Author Topic: Majority of United States Faces 'Elevated Risk' of Summer Power Blackouts Amid Green Energy Push  (Read 244 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Majority of United States Faces 'Elevated Risk' of Summer Power Blackouts Amid Green Energy Push
'The system is closer to the edge,' America's grid reliability watchdog warns
An electric charging parking spot / Getty Images
Collin Anderson
May 22, 2023

America's increased reliance on green energy in favor of coal and gas has a majority of the United States facing an "elevated risk" of summer power blackouts, according to a leading grid reliability watchdog.

The North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) last week published its 2023 summer reliability assessment, which found that two-thirds of North America could face power shortages this summer during periods of extreme heat. That vulnerability, the watchdog group said, stems from America's increase in green power generation and decrease in fossil fuel power plants. While coal and natural gas plants can be turned on and off at the flip of a switch, green alternatives such as wind and solar rely on favorable weather conditions to operate at full capacity. If those conditions aren't met, power demand can outpace supply.

https://freebeacon.com/energy/majority-of-united-states-faces-elevated-risk-of-summer-power-blackouts-amid-green-energy-push/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 05:45:52 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In the past, summer blackouts on very hot days in urban areas lead to a spike in crime, sometimes rioting.

In rural areas, not so much--people are more worried about the freezer having a meltdown.

The question is one of whether the rural areas (often where the power is generated) will be cut off to serve the cities, which will make it somewhat of a red v blue issue.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

... blacking out rural areas to provide power to the cities is dependent upon there being sufficient available transmission capacity.

Early 2000's in California, Enron created a power crisis (for profit) by monopolizing the only transmission line connecting Southern California and Northern California grids.

This time around, there may not be a transmission line to be monopolized.

All this Global Climate Change / Green New Deal nonsense is discouraging long-term investment in reliable energy infrastructure.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
... blacking out rural areas to provide power to the cities is dependent upon there being sufficient available transmission capacity.

Early 2000's in California, Enron created a power crisis (for profit) by monopolizing the only transmission line connecting Southern California and Northern California grids.

This time around, there may not be a transmission line to be monopolized.

All this Global Climate Change / Green New Deal nonsense is discouraging long-term investment in reliable energy infrastructure.

With ESG invading the banking industry, even someone willing to take that risk may be having trouble procuring funding.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis