Author Topic: A Surplus of Strategists—But A Lack of Good Strategy  (Read 281 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Surplus of Strategists—But A Lack of Good Strategy
« on: May 23, 2023, 05:27:54 pm »
May 23, 2023   
A Surplus of Strategists—But A Lack of Good Strategy
What does the U.S. government have to show for millions spent on strategic education?

by Josh Kerbel Jake Sotiriadis

If you happened to be waiting for your morning coffee at the Starbucks in the Pentagon, you might not be aware that you are surrounded by what is probably the world’s highest density of strategists. Every year, without fail, thousands of mid-level and senior military officers as well as their civilian counterparts will complete some form of professional education that prepares them to be strategists or emphasizes strategic thinking. But what is the true payoff of all the money the U.S. government spends on “strategic education” aside from all those fancy certificates on office walls in Washington DC? A quick look at the last two decades of American global strategy suggests strategic education may simply have become a rite of passage instead of something to be put into practice.

To be sure, every student who attends a strategic education program is undoubtedly familiar with Prussian military strategist Carl von Clausewitz, who famously wrote that “war is a continuation of politics by other means.” But it seems that two decades of American strategists have forgotten (or worse, never truly absorbed) Clausewitz’s prescient admonition that politicians and military commanders must “recognize the kind of war they are undertaking, neither mistaking it for, nor attempting to turn it into something it cannot be because of the nature of the circumstances.” Our track record certainly leaves much to be desired. Over the past twenty years, the $6 trillion Afghanistan and Iraq debacles were followed by more regime change in Libya, plunging that country into a civil war (and subsequent proxy war) that rages to this day. Western attempts to overthrow Syria’s Bashar al-Assad were blunted by Russian support, ensuring Assad remains firmly in control. American strategy failed to deter Russia from invading Georgia in 2008 or Ukraine in 2014 and again in 2022. Finally, the hawkish consensus emerging in Washington (i.e. a “New Cold War”?) that conflict with China is increasingly likely—if not inevitable—risks excessively securitizing every aspect of the U.S.-China relationship.

How did we get here? The United States, at least since industrialization, has won its wars (when it’s won them) through the overwhelming application of force and firepower. We have essentially churned out awe-inspiring amounts of war material that we brought directly to bear on clearly identified and traditional (nation-state) opponents who could not match or withstand it. While not necessarily pretty, it was effective. This highly linear approach (action “x” will lead to predictable/intended effect “y”) to warfare became our default strategic playbook.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/surplus-strategists%E2%80%94-lack-good-strategy-206492
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 05:28:47 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: A Surplus of Strategists—But A Lack of Good Strategy
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 06:50:28 pm »
There is significant risk of Mutual Admiration Group Think.

Rommel's mistake was publishing a book on strategy for Patton to read.

////00000////

I'd only trust a grizzled, gruff, scarred, foul-mouthed strategist drinking Irished-up Dunkin Donuts coffee.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Hoodat

Re: A Surplus of Strategists—But A Lack of Good Strategy
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 10:18:54 pm »
Rommel's book was on infantry tactics.  The true teacher of armored tactics was Heinz Guderian.  He was constantly improvising and adjusting his logistics and strategy.  He was by far the best general of the war.  And he published extensively on it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-