Author Topic: Mexico moving migrants away from borders to relieve pressure  (Read 111 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Mexico moving migrants away from borders to relieve pressure
by: MARÍA VERZA and EDGAR H. CLEMENTE, Associated Press

Posted: May 22, 2023 / 01:57 PM CDT

Updated: May 22, 2023 / 01:57 PM CDT

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico is flying migrants south away from the U.S. border and busing new arrivals away from its boundary with Guatemala to relieve pressure on its border cities.

In the week since Washington dropped pandemic-era restrictions on seeking asylum at its border, U.S. authorities report a dramatic drop in illegal crossing attempts. In Mexico, officials are generally trying to keep migrants south away from that border, a strategy that could reduce crossing temporarily, but experts say is not sustainable.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security reported Friday that in the week since the policy change, Border Patrol averaged 4,000 encounters a day with people crossing between ports of entry. That was down dramatically from the more than 10,000 daily average immediately before.

https://www.borderreport.com/immigration/mexico-moving-migrants-away-from-borders-to-relieve-pressure/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Mexico moving migrants away from borders to relieve pressure
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 01:45:19 pm »
It's good to know Mejico is such a good ally with the border invasion.  With the US, I mean - I think. :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson