Author Topic: Immigration Lobby’s New Inflation Spiel Sticks It to U.S. Workers, Again  (Read 108 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Immigration Lobby’s New Inflation Spiel Sticks It to U.S. Workers, Again
May 19, 2023

In a head-spinning twist, business executives and economists who previously claimed immigration had little or no impact on Americans’ paychecks are now calling for more immigration in order to reduce wages.

Among the converts is retired Walmart CEO Bill Simon. Complaining that the company now has to pay workers $14 an hour (gasp!), Simon says higher levels of immigration will tamp down inflation by reining in salaries.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which heretofore cavalierly dismissed the idea that immigrant workers depress wages, now says doubling immigration “might be the fastest thing to do to impact inflation.”

Most recently, The Wall Street Journal published a lengthy article toeing the conventional line that the U.S. – and every other developed nation — must import evermore low-wage workers. But one Journal source broke ranks, asserting that mass immigration slows economies in the long run.

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2023/05/19/immigration-lobbys-new-inflation-spiel-sticks-it-us-workers-again
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson