Author Topic: US bomb designed to hit targets like Iran underground nuclear sites briefly reappears amid tensions  (Read 121 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US bomb designed to hit targets like Iran underground nuclear sites briefly reappears amid tensions
Story by By JON GAMBRELL, Associated Press • Yesterday 6:15 AM

In this photo released by the U.S. Air Force on May 2, 2023, airmen look at a GBU-57, or the Massive Ordnance Penetrator bomb, at Whiteman Air Base in Missouri. That U.S. bomb, designed to destroy underground sites at the height of concerns a decade ago over Iran's nuclear program, has briefly reappeared amid new tensions with the Islamic Republic. (U.S. Air Force via AP)
© Provided by The Associated Press

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — As tensions with Iran have escalated over its nuclear program, the U.S. military this month posted pictures of a powerful bomb designed to penetrate deep into the earth and destroy underground facilities that could be used to enrich uranium.

The U.S. Air Force on May 2 released rare images of the weapon, the GBU-57, known as the “Massive Ordnance Penetrator.” Then it took the photos down — apparently because the photographs revealed sensitive details about the weapon's composition and punch.

The publication of the photographs comes as The Associated Press reported that Iran is making steady progress in constructing a nuclear facility that is likely beyond the range of the GBU-57, which is considered the U.S. military last-ditch weapon to take out underground bunkers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-bomb-designed-to-hit-targets-like-iran-underground-nuclear-sites-briefly-reappears-amid-tensions/ar-AA1bvSDK?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8f75ddf35e9f49eea51b69b200649ebb&ei=10
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson