Author Topic: Watchdog slams Missile Defense Agency for delivery, testing shortfalls in 2022  (Read 132 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Watchdog slams Missile Defense Agency for delivery, testing shortfalls in 2022
For the past 20 years, GAO finds, "missile threats from foreign adversaries have evolved, and MDA has faced persistent challenges as it attempts to keep pace."
By   THERESA HITCHENS
on May 18, 2023 at 4:46 PM

WASHINGTON — The Missile Defense Agency failed to meet all of its baseline goals for delivering and testing systems last year, according to a new report by Congress’s watchdog agency — and as a result may end up accepting contractor delivery of one new high-priority system, the Long Range Discrimination Radar (LRDR), before its capability has been verified.

Released today, the “Missile Defense: Annual Goals Unmet for Deliveries and Testing” report is the 20th annual oversight review by the Government Accountability Office of MDA’s performance since the agency’s establishment by the Department of Defense in 2002. During that time, according to GAO, the agency has spent more than $194 billion, including $10.4 billion in fiscal 2022. Congress appropriated $10.5 billion for MDA in FY23, and the agency asked for $10.9 billion in its FY24 budget request.

“Over this time, missile threats from foreign adversaries have evolved, and MDA has faced persistent challenges as it attempts to keep pace. GAO has reported that MDA has not met the annual goals it sets for itself to deliver hardware and test its capabilities,” the report says. And yet as of last June, the report adds, 23 of GAO’s recommendations for helping the agency improve performance have gone unmet.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/05/watchdog-slams-missile-defense-agency-for-delivery-testing-shortfalls-in-2022/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson