Author Topic: Investigation: Four sailor suicides from same command not connected  (Read 137 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Investigation: Four sailor suicides from same command not connected
By Geoff Ziezulewicz
 May 18, 08:22 PM

Editor’s note: This report contains discussion of suicide. Troops, veterans and family members experiencing suicidal thoughts can call the 24-hour Suicide and Crisis Lifeline at 988 or 1-800-273-8255, texting 838255 or visiting VeteransCrisisLine.net.

The suicides of four sailors assigned to the same unit in Virginia within a span of 28 days late last year were not directly connected, according to a service investigation released Thursday. But the losses all involved sailors who had accessed Navy mental health services and were dealing with “family, financial, medical and career-related factors.”

Electronics Technician 2nd Class Kody Decker died by suicide on Oct. 29 and Electronics Technician Seaman Cameron Armstrong took his life on Nov. 5, while Machinist’s Mate Fireman Deonte Autry died by suicide on Nov. 14.

All three men were 22-years-old. Twelve days later, on Nov. 26, Fire Controlman 2nd Class Janelle Holder, 39, ended her life as well.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/05/19/investigation-four-sailor-suicides-from-same-command-not-connected/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
"All four were in their first enlistment as they grappled with various life challenges."

There is no way a 39-year-old 2nd class Petty Officer was in her first enlistment.  In fact, it seems more likely she was busted somewhere along the way since a 39-year-old 2nd class isn't setting any land speed records for rank growth.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson