Author Topic: Dems, Activists Oppose Bill Aimed At Saving Iconic California Trees From Wildfires  (Read 149 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY MARY LOU MASTERS ON MAY 18, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

Dems, Activists Oppose Bill Aimed At Saving Iconic California Trees From Wildfires

sequoia treesSome Democrats and environmentalist groups oppose a bill aimed at saving California’s iconic sequoia trees from wildfires, according to The Washington Post’s The Climate 202.

The Save Our Sequoias Act, pushed by Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy of California, would expedite environmental reviews to carry out “Protection Projects” like controlled burns, forest thinning, and other activities to protect the sequoias from wildfires. [emphasis, links added]

While the bill has bipartisan support, some Democrats and environmental activists accuse its backers of trying to undermine “bedrock environmental laws” like the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), according to The Climate 202.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/dems-activists-oppose-bill-aimed-at-saving-iconic-california-trees-from-wildfires/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson