Author Topic: Italy returns to nuclear sanity. Shouldn’t we?  (Read 121 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Italy returns to nuclear sanity. Shouldn’t we?
« on: May 18, 2023, 12:58:34 pm »
Italy returns to nuclear sanity. Shouldn’t we?
By Duggan Flanakin |May 18th, 2023|1 Comment

The Italian parliament, demonstrating confidence in Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, this week formally backed her plan to reintroduce nuclear power plants into Italy’s energy mix, reversing the nation’s 1987 moratorium on nuclear power. Meanwhile, energy-starved Germany is feeling the pinch from shuttering all of its 17 nuclear power plants.

The U.S. has closed 11 nuclear reactors since 2013, with another eight of the 94 remaining reactors scheduled for decommissioning by 2025. Although Presidents Trump and Biden have favored bolstering the U.S. nuclear energy portfolio, America’s bureaucrat-heavy regulatory jungle remains designed to drag out facility permitting and construction for decades.

The sad truth is that the energy crisis is imminent – we don’t have decades to play gotcha political games. Another truth – wind and solar cannot fully power the U.S. grid.

https://www.cfact.org/2023/05/18/italy-returns-to-nuclear-sanity-shouldnt-we/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=italy-returns-to-nuclear-sanity-shouldnt-we&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=italy-returns-to-nuclear-sanity-shouldnt-we
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson