Author Topic: Titanic revealed: Stunning full-sized scans show shipwreck like never before  (Read 803 times)

Offline Kamaji

Titanic revealed: Stunning full-sized scans show shipwreck like never before

By Andrew Court
May 17, 2023

The legendary Titanic has been unearthed like never before — with the first-ever full-sized 3D reconstruction revealing incredible new details about the doomed cruise liner 111 years after its infamous sinking.

More than 1,500 passengers died after the ship struck an iceberg and sank while sailing from Southhampton, England to New York in April 1912.

The disaster has fascinated the world for more than a century. However, much is still unknown about the specifics of the shipwreck — but that could now change.

The stunning images were created from more than 700,000 scans of the wreckage that were captured last summer by Atlantic Productions and the deep-sea mapping company, Magellan Ltd.

“It allows you to see the wreck as you can never see it from a submersible,” Parks Stephenson, a Titanic analyst, told BBC News of the reconstruction.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/17/titanic-revealed-stunning-images-show-shipwreck-like-never-before/

Offline Kamaji

Offline LMAO

Haunting

Another wreck that’s equally as haunting, and is in my neck of the woods, are the underwater pictures of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

Haunting

Another wreck that’s equally as haunting, and is in my neck of the woods, are the underwater pictures of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Has the Edmund Fitzgerald suffered as much degradation as the Titanic has?

Offline Polly Ticks

I wonder if they found the necklace.   :laugh:

That really is very interesting.  For some reason, I have trouble watching the various videos and even looking at the underwater photos of the Titanic.  I think all the ocean stuff floating by and the barnacles and whatnot maybe trigger my claustrophobia a bit -- which also gives me trouble when I try to snorkel.  But this is very cool, and something I can actually look at without feeling vaguely panicky. It will be interesting to see what conclusions they can draw based on these new 3D images.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline LMAO

Has the Edmund Fitzgerald suffered as much degradation as the Titanic has?

Actually, it’s pretty well preserved. The depths of Lake Superior are so cold, there’s no bacteria whatsoever.

They say even the bodies are well preserved. I guess there’s a shipwreck out there called the Kamloops that sank I believe sometime in the early 20s. It’s one of the few shipwrecks that divers are allowed to explore, and evidently there’s a well preserved body in the boiler room.
He’s very white, and the divers have called him “old Whitey”
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 06:42:00 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

It was not until the 1980s that they finally found the Titanic. It was lost for that many decades.

I find shipwrecks fascinating, and it’s probably because I live 20 minutes from Lake Superior

But even ocean shipwrecks, and all the World War II lost ships, I find interesting
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 06:43:32 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline berdie

I have always been interested in the sinking of the Titanic (and Amelia Earhart) since I was a kid.

Since there were several different compartments of the ship, I've always been of the opinion that if the ship hadn't hit like it did and cratered all the compartments, it would have stayed afloat. Hence earning it's name. Maybe this will give more information.

Offline Kamaji

I have always been interested in the sinking of the Titanic (and Amelia Earhart) since I was a kid.

Since there were several different compartments of the ship, I've always been of the opinion that if the ship hadn't hit like it did and cratered all the compartments, it would have stayed afloat. Hence earning it's name. Maybe this will give more information.

Apparently what happened is that the watertight compartments didn't go up high enough, so that once the forward compartments were fully flooded and the ship began to nose down, the water began to flood over the tops of the compartments and flooded the compartments that weren't ripped open by the ice.

Offline cato potatoe

Probably, if the shockwave didn’t open seams elsewhere along the hull.  Murdoch would have been crucified in the press if he willingly crushed everyone in the forward cabins … so there was no chance of him doing it even if you pointed a gun at him.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

But, while it was the world’s largest passenger liner at the time in 1912, the famous ship was actually significantly smaller than the cruise ships we know today.

The Titanic was 10 decks high, 882.5ft long and 92ft beam, which is the widest part of the vessel.

Meanwhile the current largest cruise liner in the world, Royal Caribbean’s Icon of the Seas, which is due to make its maiden voyage in 2024, is 20 decks high, 1197.5ft long and 213ft beam.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/18/insane-image-reveals-titanic-compared-to-modern-day-cruise-ship/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️