Author Topic: Evolving Missions Require Evolving Munitions  (Read 70 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Evolving Missions Require Evolving Munitions
« on: May 17, 2023, 04:37:36 pm »
Evolving Missions Require Evolving Munitions
By Jim Simms
May 17, 2023

Last summer, Ukraine’s Minister of Defense Oleksii Reznikov confirmed that its military deployed Harpoon anti-ship missiles in an effort to counter Russia’s surface ships. The RGM-84 Harpoon has been critical in defending Ukraine’s coastal waters. According to Reznikov, Ukraine’s “coastal defense was strengthened by highly effective complexes” and helped force “the enemy fleet to keep [its] distance.”

Though the Harpoon has been utilized in military engagements since 1977, its latest iteration is one of the most technologically sophisticated weapons in the world. Able to perform in all weather conditions, including smoke, fog, and other adversarial deterrents, the Harpoon is elite among its competitors and is a critical defense component for the U.S. and more than thirty other allied countries – and that collaboration with allies is crucial in this conflict and any future conflicts.

The landscape of traditional warfare evolves with every conflict and military equipment must meet the dynamic environments in which they will perform. The versatility of the Harpoon is an asset in the air, on land and at sea because it’s capable of both land-strike and anti-ship missions. It has active radar guidance and can travel at low-level trajectories, increasing its ability to accurately hit targets.

In support of Ukraine’s war efforts against Russia, NATO nations have sent U.S.-built RGM-84 Harpoon missile launchers and rounds to President Zelensky’s military and it has made a significant impact on the course of the war. In an assessment released by the United Kingdom’s Ministry of Defense (MoD) in July, officials noted that anti-ship missiles have “significantly undermined the overall invasion plan” orchestrated by Russia.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/05/17/evolving_missions_require_evolving_munitions_899875.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson