Author Topic: California, in Deficit, Considers Unemployment Benefits for ‘Undocumented’ Workers  (Read 106 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California, in Deficit, Considers Unemployment Benefits for ‘Undocumented’ Workers

MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty ImagesMARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images
JOEL B. POLLAK16 May 2023532
2:36
The California state legislature is considering a bill that would grant unemployed workers who are illegally in the country access to unemployment benefits —  even though the state is running a massive budget deficit.

As Breitbart News reported earlier this week, California’s fiscus has fallen in the space of one year from a surplus of $100 billion, partly based on federal cash for coronavirus relief, to a staggering deficit of $32 billion.

In his revised budget, Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) cautioned legislators to maintain “prudence.” But under SB 227, “excluded” workers who are in the country illegally would be able to receive $300 per week in benefits.

As Fox News reported, proponents say migrant workers “deserve” the benefits, despite entering the U.S. unlawfully:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/05/16/california-in-deficit-considers-unemployment-benefits-for-undocumented-workers/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson