Author Topic: Right, Washington Post, Whales Aren’t Carbon Sinks, Especially If Offshore Wind Kills Them  (Read 148 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Right, Washington Post, Whales Aren’t Carbon Sinks, Especially If Offshore Wind Kills Them
By H. Sterling Burnett -May 15, 20230

The Washington Post (WP) ran a story discussing the possibility of counting whales as carbon sinks or offsets, concluding that any carbon stored in whales would be insufficient to offset more than a fraction of human carbon dioxide emissions. This is true, and especially so as there is mounting evidence to suggest that efforts to fight climate change by building large industrial offshore wind projects are contributing to a growing rate of excess whale deaths.

In the WP story, “Whales Are the New Trees: Neither Will Save the Climate,” author Mark Gongloff writes:

A few years ago, a group of economists proposed that whale populations be treated as counterweights to pollution, much in the same way that supporting tree-planting allows individuals and businesses to “cancel out” their carbon emissions.

Here’s the basic idea: Whales store a lot of carbon in their massive bodies. They also poop prodigiously, creating a food source for phytoplankton, which themselves collectively hold even vaster amounts of carbon. And when whales die, their bodies sink to the ocean floor, trapping carbon in deep water for hundreds of years.

https://climaterealism.com/2023/05/right-washington-post-whales-arent-carbon-sinks-especially-if-offshore-wind-kills-them/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

So, we must sacrifice whales upon the Offshore Windfarm Altar of Global Climate Change to save Mother Gaia?

Alright, whales gotta die for offshore windfarm wet dreams.

What else on Earth needs to be sacrificed to the false idol of Global Climate Change?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji