Author Topic: Thanks To Daily Blackouts, South Africa Is Beating Its Emissions Goal  (Read 136 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY JOEL B. POLLAK ON MAY 16, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

Thanks To Daily Blackouts, South Africa Is Beating Its Emissions Goal

blackoutSouth Africa is exceeding its goal of cutting greenhouse gas emissions — thanks to regular blackouts that have become a daily feature of life in the country and have become a serious obstacle to economic growth.

As Breitbart News reported recently [emphasis, links added]:

https://climatechangedispatch.com/thanks-to-daily-blackouts-south-africa-is-beating-its-emissions-goal/

“Load shedding,” the practice of controlled blackouts by the state-owned power company, Eskom, continues to plague South Africa …

Load shedding affects millions of residents and businesses. Large companies typically install diesel-powered generators; some wealthy families install batteries or solar panels to make up for electricity outages. But for millions of people — especially the poor — the impact is tremendous. And when power is restored, electricity surges can also damage consumer electronics, destroying additional household wealth and productivity.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson