Author Topic: VZ-9 Avrocar: Why the US Military Said No To This Mach 4 Flying Saucer  (Read 78 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

VZ-9 Avrocar: Why the US Military Said No To This Mach 4 Flying Saucer
Story by Peter Suciu • Yesterday 3:53 PM

VZ-9 Avrocar: Why It Never Made it Into Service - Thanks in part to the popular culture of the 1950s, unidentified flying objects (UFOs) are almost synonymous with “flying saucers.” Movies such as 1951’s The Day the Earth Stood Still, followed by The War of the Worlds two years later, showed aliens in such spacecraft/war machines.

The latter is notable in that it was quite a departure from the mechanical “walkers” that were described in H.G. Wells’ novel on which the film was based.

However, the trend of sighted saucer-like ships continued for decades and could be seen in such films as Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977), E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) and Independence Day (1996).

Clearly, the idea of a flying saucer has stuck in the popular consciousness. But this is notable as prior to the Cold War, depictions of spacecraft were more rocket-like as seen as in the 1930s serials such as Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon.

So what caused the flying saucer sensation?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/vz-9-avrocar-why-the-us-military-said-no-to-this-mach-4-flying-saucer/ar-AA170hJ6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fffccea1290c4af3aa304a3840d2fc41&ei=5
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson