Author Topic: Obama: Our Children’s Lives Are at Risk Because Guns Became a Partisan Issue  (Read 701 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama: Our Children’s Lives Are at Risk Because Guns Became a Partisan Issue

Pam Key 16 May 2023

Former President Barack Obama said Tuesday on “CBS Mornings” that the United States was allowing our children’s lives to be at risk because gun ownership has become a partisan issue.

Host Nate Burelson asked, “Gun violence is the number one cause of death for children in this country. What is the radical solution? And do you believe there is a larger issue at hand that causes fractures among us in this country?”

Obama said, “We are unique among advanced, developed nations, in tolerating on a routine basis, gun violence in the form of shootings, mass shootings, suicides. You know in Australia you had one mass shooting, 50 years ago, they said we’re not doing that anymore. That is normally how you would expect a society to respond when your children are at risk.”

Burelson asked, “Why is it so hard for us to do that?”

Obama said, “Well look, somehow, and there are a lot of historical reasons for this, gun ownership in this country became an ideological issue and a partisan issue, in ways that it shouldn’t be. It has become sort of a proxy for arguments about our culture wars. Instead of thinking about it in a very pragmatic way, we end up really arguing about identify and emotion and all kinds of stuff that does not have to do with keeping our children safe. Even in the absence of action at the federal level you are still seeing communities able to reduce violence by dealing with not just access to guns, but just as importantly, making sure that the young people in these communities feel as if they’ve got somebody who’s paying attention to them. We don’t have room for cynicism and we can’t give up.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/05/16/obama-our-childrens-lives-are-at-risk-because-guns-became-a-partisan-issue/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Our children's lives are at risk because of race baiters like Obama a certain segment of American society that just happens to be melanin heavy and the  refusal by certain law enforcement parties to deal with known mentally unstable individuals who had a known history of threats of violence....not because of guns.

Offline Kamaji

No, Obama, children's lives are at stake because this country, and certain ethnic minority communities in particular, have developed a very sick culture that treats guns as the be-all-end-all to solving every personal problem that comes along.

Guns were much more widely owned decades ago, and yet they were much less frequently used to commit acts of violence against other people.  What changed?  Guns are still the same, so it must have been the culture of the people who now own guns.

Offline libertybele

No, Obama, children's lives are at stake because this country, and certain ethnic minority communities in particular, have developed a very sick culture that treats guns as the be-all-end-all to solving every personal problem that comes along.

Guns were much more widely owned decades ago, and yet they were much less frequently used to commit acts of violence against other people.  What changed?  Guns are still the same, so it must have been the culture of the people who now own guns.

"Guns are still the same, so it must have been the culture of the people who now own guns".  I would venture to say that those guns are obtained illegally.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

"Guns are still the same, so it must have been the culture of the people who now own guns".  I would venture to say that those guns are obtained illegally.

Some yes, some no.  But the underlying problem is still the same:  culture.

Offline PeteS in CA

I’m so old I remember when lots/most of my hometown’s residents and farm people in the area had guns, and for some reason we had zero mass shootings. Guns haven’t changed, people have.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline roamer_1

I’m so old I remember when lots/most of my hometown’s residents and farm people in the area had guns, and for some reason we had zero mass shootings. Guns haven’t changed, people have.

Still that way here. I don't know anyone that doesn't have multiple guns. Now, being rural, and a hunter, i know that has more emphasis than for townies... But here, they are a way of life, and life would be impossible without them. And it gets more emphasis than I give it too - Try being twenty minutes or more away from any city/county services. Out that far, you manage your own law, because the LEOs are so far away as to have no meaningful effect beyond bringing body bags...

And still, with everyone armed to the teeth, very little violent crime.

Offline goatprairie

Of course, what Obama and other liberals (and many conservatives for that matter) won't mention is that it is overwhelmingly non-white "children" who are getting shot and killed...mostly black "children."
Many people say that there is nothing that can be done to solve the problem except to confiscate everybody's firearms....including demographics where gun violence is exceptionally rare. Meaning of course confiscate the firearms of white people who commit very little firearm violence compared to non-whites.
If all cities plagued by violent crime would practice strictly enforced profiling, stop and frisk, and curfews for certain ages, the crime rate would drop precipitously.
But since most people in positions of power would rather see piles of dead black bodies rather than hurt black peoples' feelings, nothing will be done. And dead black bodies will continue to pile up on our country's streets.

Offline verga

Firearms became a "partisan issue" When Democrats tried to restrict the ownership of Firearms by Blacks in the south after the Civil war at the same time that they tried to restrict votingf rights for them as well. Sadly these facts are lost on the general population.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Kamaji

Exactly.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Guns continued to be a partisan issue when Nancy Pelosi said "If I had my way, sporting guns would be strictly regulated, the rest would be confiscated."
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Pam Key...
Host Nate Burelson asked, “Gun violence is the number one cause of death for children in this country. What is the radical solution? And do you believe there is a larger issue at hand that causes fractures among us in this country?”

This is an outright lie.

THE NUMBER ONE CAUSE OF CHILDREN DYING IS ABORTION.  WE ARE STILL MURDERING HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF THE MOST DEFENSELESS IN OUR SOCIETY EACH YEAR.   

Offline berdie

[/b]

Truer words have never been typed/said.