Author Topic: 'The Door Is Open!' One Cry Among 10,000 in a Mexican Border Town Where Migrants Are Ready to Risk t  (Read 111 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
'The Door Is Open!' One Cry Among 10,000 in a Mexican Border Town Where Migrants Are Ready to Risk the Rio Grande… Despite Warnings That Children May Drown

By Todd Bensman on May 12, 2023
Armed only with hand-held radios, four uniformed Mexican immigration officers didn't hear the pounding footsteps until it was too late. They were going to be overrun. A charging, screaming crowd of migrants, some carrying young children in their arms, stampeded down the bank of the Rio Grande River just outside of Matamoros, Mexico.

I watched as the immigration officers tried to hold back the mob, but it was pointless. When force failed, they tried reason.

“Please, the babies! The children! You're going to hurt the children!” an officer shouted in Spanish. “The children could drown! Stop! Please stop what you're doing!”

Regardless, women with little ones and men with older children on their shoulders rushed into the river that marks the U.S. Mexico border.

They're headed north for Brownsville, Texas.

https://cis.org/Bensman/Door-Open-One-Cry-Among-10000-Mexican-Border-Town-Where-Migrants-Are-Ready-Risk-Rio-Grande
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson