Author Topic: Biden & the Media Are Electric-Vehicle Grifters: If the president succeeds, global emissions will be  (Read 126 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Biden & the Media Are Electric-Vehicle Grifters: If the president succeeds, global emissions will be 0.18% lower

By: Admin - Climate DepotMay 13, 2023 7:34 AM

https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-biden-and-the-media-are-ev-grifters-carbon-tax-emissions-fossil-fuels-subsidies-3c6d6a21

By Holman W. Jenkins, Jr.

Excerpt:

Subsidizing somebody to use an electric car is a subsidy to consume energy, period—to drive more, to live in a bigger house, to crank the air conditioning higher. The electricity to charge the car has to come from somewhere. The minerals for the battery don’t spring from the ground. If government pays you to use less fossil fuel, it’s paying someone else to use more.

But the funny thing is, even if sophisticated economics are lost on you, you still wouldn’t subsidize electric cars for consumers based simply on the numbers.

Transportation may be 20% of emissions, but cars and vans represent only 8%, and 72% of these are personal vehicles—which means they sit idle most of the time. Going by U.S. and European averages, commercial vehicles rack up four times the annual mileage. Global society’s personal vehicles may be a majority of cars, but they account for a minority of light-vehicle emissions—about 39%, or 3% of total emissions.

And, of course, the Biden plan affects only the U.S., with 12% of the global fleet—so 0.36%. And swapping out a gasoline engine for a battery eliminates only half (at best) of lifetime emissions—so 0.18%.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/05/13/biden-the-media-are-electric-vehicle-grifters-if-the-president-succeeds-global-emissions-will-be-0-18-lower/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson