Author Topic: How is the UK stopping Channel crossings and what are the legal routes to the UK?  (Read 331 times)

Offline mountaineer

BBC:
How is the UK stopping Channel crossings and what are the legal routes to the UK?

The Illegal Migration Bill is facing fierce scrutiny in the House of Lords.

The bill is part of the government's plan to tackle small boat crossings after record numbers arrived in the UK this way in 2022.
What is the government's main plan to tackle migrants?

Under the Illegal Migration Bill, published at the beginning of March:

the home secretary has a duty to detain and remove those arriving in the UK illegally, either to Rwanda or another "safe" third country
    migrants will not be granted bail or able to seek judicial review for the first 28 days of detention
    under-18s, those medically unfit to fly or at risk of serious harm in the country to which they are being removed will be able to delay departure
    people removed from the UK will be blocked from returning, or seeking British citizenship in future
    the number of refugees the UK will settle through "safe and legal routes" is capped

The law will apply retrospectively, with anyone arriving illegally from Tuesday 7 March at risk of deportation.  ...
https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-53734793
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

'They're coming from France!' Ash Sarkar slapped down over attack on UK migrant policy
"You have to remember most people coming here in small boats are coming from France."
By Katie Harris
05:51, Fri, May 12, 2023 | UPDATED: 20:42, Fri, May 12, 2023

A Conservative minister clashed with left-wing commentator Ash Sarkar over the Illegal Migration Bill on BBC Question Time.

Helen Whately defended the Government's plans to stop small boats crossing the Channel as she appeared on the panel of the show in Bexhill-on-Sea.

The care minister said: "Ash you talked about the dangers for people in the countries they're fleeing from.

"You have to remember most people coming here in small boats are coming from France.

"I don't know about you but I have been to the camp in Calais and spoken to people who are planning to come here about why they are coming here and why weren't they for instance applying for asylum in France. ...
Express

Offline mountaineer

Thousands of migrants are camping out in the forests of Northern France waiting to jump in boats and illegally cross the English Channel

https://twitter.com/BFirstParty/status/1657068692167852051

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Shoot them out of the water.
Flood the chunnel.

You know these things won't happen.
Britain is doomed.

Offline mountaineer

Shoot them out of the water.
Flood the chunnel.

You know these things won't happen.
Britain is doomed.
We could plant landmines along our border, for that matter.

Online DefiantMassRINO

Rwanda is a long flight.  Jet fuel will be prohibitively expensive to fly to people en masse.

Fly them to Iceland, the Faroe Islands, or Greenland.  Those places are cold and need more diversity.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.